SOLVED

Re: Persons with empty emails by Salesforce

Go to solution
AlejandroBas
Level 1

Persons with empty emails by Salesforce

Recently, my work team and I configured a flow to be able to eliminate people who will arrive with empty mail to Marketo, given that there is an integration to load the people we have in Salesforce.

The flow is made with an intelligent "batch" list mode, which means that the people who are there until that day are loaded and the new people who arrive without email are not updated. That is to say, today 10/09 the flow runs but if someone new arrives tomorrow 10/10 it does not go through that flow.

Is there any way to create this flow with triggers, taking into account that you want to immediately delete people who arrive without email?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

You can use a trigger (instead of batch) campaign with the Person is Created trigger and an Email Address is Empty filter to delete the person record with an empty Email Address immediately as soon as it gets created in Marketo. However, if you want this record to get created in SFDC first (as you've chosen to not delete it from CRM in the Delete Person flow step in your comment above), you can add a Sync Person to the SFDC flow step first, and then delete it from Marketo.

I wouldn't mind throwing in a 5 minutes Wait step before deleting the person from Marketo. Alternatively, you can also use the Executable campaigns for syncing people over to the SFDC and then deleting it using the Delete Person flow step in the parent campaign.

See the Smart List and Flow snapshots for your reference below:

Smart List: 

Darshil_Shah1_0-1696870086344.png

Flow:

Darshil_Shah1_0-1696870511414.png

The periodicity is for one time only. "I don't know if that could affect it, because what we want is for this flow to be controlled every time a new person enters if they don't have email."

I don't know what other information I can provide.

Well, after a person record is deleted from the Marketo database, Marketo doesn't remember enough about it to prevent it from re-entering the campaign flow, even if the campaign allows each record to run through it only once. So Qualification Rules don't matter/are considered for the person being deleted from the database, and they'd run through the campaign if they get re-created given that they qualify to run through the campaign flow.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You haven't provided sufficient information here: what is the configuration of your "flow"? You mean a Marketo Smart Campaign? Or SFDC Flow?

Without knowing what you're currently doing it's impossible to help transform it into a trigger SC.

AlejandroBas
Level 1

Sorry for not specifying.

It is created from a smart campaign in Marketo.

1. Where in the smart list I have the filters "Email address, email, email" and the field is "Is empty"
  2. In flow, I have the "Remove Person" field with "Remove from CRM set to False"

The periodicity is for one time only. "I don't know if that could affect it, because what we want is for this flow to be controlled every time a new person enters if they don't have email."

Darshil_Shah1

You can use a trigger (instead of batch) campaign with the Person is Created trigger and an Email Address is Empty filter to delete the person record with an empty Email Address immediately as soon as it gets created in Marketo. However, if you want this record to get created in SFDC first (as you've chosen to not delete it from CRM in the Delete Person flow step in your comment above), you can add a Sync Person to the SFDC flow step first, and then delete it from Marketo.

I wouldn't mind throwing in a 5 minutes Wait step before deleting the person from Marketo. Alternatively, you can also use the Executable campaigns for syncing people over to the SFDC and then deleting it using the Delete Person flow step in the parent campaign.

See the Smart List and Flow snapshots for your reference below:

Smart List: 

Darshil_Shah1_0-1696870086344.png

Flow:

Darshil_Shah1_0-1696870511414.png

Well, after a person record is deleted from the Marketo database, Marketo doesn't remember enough about it to prevent it from re-entering the campaign flow, even if the campaign allows each record to run through it only once. So Qualification Rules don't matter/are considered for the person being deleted from the database, and they'd run through the campaign if they get re-created given that they qualify to run through the campaign flow.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The problem with your approach — and with Darshil’s triggered version as well, unfortunately — is nothing stops the person from being recreated in Marketo when there’s an update in SFDC.

That can be disastrous for performance, not to mention confusing: you’re creating a new person and deleting them constantly.

You must also make the SFDC object invisible to the Marketo API user so this cycle doesn’t run endlessly.

Darshil_Shah1

You must also make the SFDC object invisible to the Marketo API user so this cycle doesn’t run endlessly.

Ahh- yes! Great catch, @SanfordWhiteman

AlejandroBas
Level 1

Thanks for the help. @Darshil_Shah1 @SanfordWhiteman with this I can perform the tests for the flows