SOLVED

Re: Passing Values into Hidden Fields via Cookie & Parameters

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Passing Values into Hidden Fields via Cookie & Parameters

I've read just about every article about this, and it seems so easy in the Marketo docs, but I just can't get it to work. I'm trying to pass a value into a hidden field on a form via a cookie. I'm quite technical, but I must be overlooking something and I'm getting bizarre results. Here's my issue(s):

I set a cookie for anyone landing on the website with a specific parameter. I've verified the cookie is getting set and is present throughout testing.

Here is my test:

I've created two hidden fields, one that pulls from the URL Parameter, the other pulls from the Cookie Value.

My results:

1. When the user comes from deeper within the site (indirectly to the Marketo landing page), and the parameter is no longer in the URL, it is somehow still passing into a hidden field via the Get Value From: "URL Parameter".
  2. When the user comes in directly to the Marketo landing page with the form present (and the parameter in the url), it is not picked up by either the "URL Parameter" or the "Cookie Value" - both of which are present.

So, the parameter is getting passed by the URL Parameter, when none is present - (maybe somehow it's pulling from the cookie?), and is not when both the URL parameter and cookie is present.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Your current approved LP only has the single cookie mapping (cookie gclid → field GCLID__c). I assume you didn't reapprove the LP, if you've made that change in Form Editor.

With that considered, the form is behaving as expected. Once the cookie exists (after the first load) then the hidden field is Auto-Filled.

Also, you generally want to turn off Pre-Fill (not Auto-Fill) for these attribution tracking fields, because otherwise you can get very confused while debugging (leaving a field empty if it's not supplied by the session context is more clear, and that empty field will be ignored by the db when posted, so you don't have to worry about clearing fields accidentally).

P.S. You really should do some refactoring in the other form code on the page -- while it's not related to the behavior you're reporting, it's hard to read through in order to rule it out.

For one example:

if (isUnSubscribed!=undefined && isUnSubscribed!='' && isUnSubscribed!=null && isUnSubscribed=='false') {

} else if (isUnSubscribed!=undefined && isUnSubscribed!='' && isUnSubscribed!=null && isUnSubscribed=='true') {

This code path can never be different from:

if (isUnSubscribed=='false') {

} else if (isUnSubscribed=='true') {

Also: any element selector should be scoped to the Marketo <form> element, not to the document. Remember that you can have multiple forms and you don't want to change values across forms. And value changes should be done with the forms API setValues() whenever possible, not DOM updates, or else you can break visibility and validation rules.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
SanfordWhiteman

Please provide a link to your page w/form.

What you're describing isn't normal behavior -- especially the idea of the forms library mistaking URL params for cookies.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

And please also provide a screenshot of your form design (form in editable mode).

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman

You don't read Form Descriptorese yet, Greg?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a link to one of the landing pages using the form:

Make Sellers an Extension of Marketing

The form is very long, but here is a screenshot of the fields in question:

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 8.51.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 8.55.19 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-06-05 at 8.55.36 AM.png

SanfordWhiteman

Your current approved LP only has the single cookie mapping (cookie gclid → field GCLID__c). I assume you didn't reapprove the LP, if you've made that change in Form Editor.

With that considered, the form is behaving as expected. Once the cookie exists (after the first load) then the hidden field is Auto-Filled.

Also, you generally want to turn off Pre-Fill (not Auto-Fill) for these attribution tracking fields, because otherwise you can get very confused while debugging (leaving a field empty if it's not supplied by the session context is more clear, and that empty field will be ignored by the db when posted, so you don't have to worry about clearing fields accidentally).

P.S. You really should do some refactoring in the other form code on the page -- while it's not related to the behavior you're reporting, it's hard to read through in order to rule it out.

For one example:

if (isUnSubscribed!=undefined && isUnSubscribed!='' && isUnSubscribed!=null && isUnSubscribed=='false') {

} else if (isUnSubscribed!=undefined && isUnSubscribed!='' && isUnSubscribed!=null && isUnSubscribed=='true') {

This code path can never be different from:

if (isUnSubscribed=='false') {

} else if (isUnSubscribed=='true') {

Also: any element selector should be scoped to the Marketo <form> element, not to the document. Remember that you can have multiple forms and you don't want to change values across forms. And value changes should be done with the forms API setValues() whenever possible, not DOM updates, or else you can break visibility and validation rules.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahh- Thank you Sanford! Of course it was something as simple as approving the Landing Page. Still getting used to the intricacies of Marketo.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

On top of Sandy's points, the recommendation it really to handle these fields with some JS in the LP templates so that the end use designing the form do not even have to thing about it.

-Greg

Seth_Wood
Level 2

Hi Sanford,

Your answers are always so helpful. We've been knocking about with this, unsuccessfully, and are hopeful that you might get pinged from this old thread if we follow up to your solution.  We are also very hopeful that you would be willing to toss a little advice our way on the matter. 😉

We can get it working just fine with the URL parameter method, but we definitely want the value of the GCLID on the cookie, so we attribute in case someone comes back and eventually submits the form. We believe we've set everything up correctly with the form for the cookie tracking on the hidden field, and are at a complete loss why the GCLID won't pass to Marketo. It never shows up on the person record.

Any ideas at all are more than welcome.

gclid-troubleshooting.png

Victor_Herrero
Level 5

Sorry, but I don't understand why two fields are necessary for this. Perhaps because I don't have a technical background.

Shouldn't it be enough to grab the information from the cookie?

Is this cookie not generated / updated automatically every time someone clicks on a google ad?

Creating two fields sounds like a bad practice (although if necessary, I guess I could create a MKTO only one that grabs the info from the url and updates the SFDC one if empty through a campaign).