Re: orphans/widows solution other than nbsp?

Anonymous
Not applicable

orphans/widows solution other than nbsp?

Just asking out of curiosity... has anybody come up with a good solution for avoiding orphans and widows - words by themselves, in an email? Currently, I just throw an "nbsp" between the last two words where I spot them. But there's no way of catching them all, as every email client renders different. I could manually add it to every paragraph, but... not really a preferred use of time.

4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

No perfect solution. Best bet is to consult an experienced email html developer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How long are your emails? Ha ha.

But seriously, you can't really control it. You can, however, design with fewer words per line. This way, orphans and widows are more visually acceptable.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Haha! Believe me, there are a couple emails I wish the team would write a little shorter! Brevity is always preferred!

It's not a major issue - I just get some paragraphs rendering differently in different email environments. I know there's a javascript solution for websites. I was just hoping there was some fun little trick I didn't know.

For now, I'm just adding an nbsp between the last two words of any offending paragraph. That does the trick just fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I get that... Email is very tricky and unpredictable. Even if you test profusely, somewhere there is a user viewing it in a whole new way. The best approach sometimes is to, and I will shamelessly quote Frozen, "Let it goooooo"! Good luck.