SOLVED

Re: Original Source Type and Registration Source Type

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Original Source Type and Registration Source Type

Can anyone elaborate the the differences between these two system-managing fields?

Which field is the one can be used as the very first touchpoint/become lead point?

Thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Frank_Breen2
Level 10

These are explained here: Understanding System Managed Fields - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

• Original Source Type = The location a lead or website visitor was first discovered (Example: List Import, Web Page Visit)
  • Registration Source Type = The location an activity first became a lead (Example: List Import, Web Page Visit)

Original Source Type is best to categorize how you got the lead, Registration Source Type is how the lead entered your system.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Frank_Breen2
Level 10

These are explained here: Understanding System Managed Fields - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

• Original Source Type = The location a lead or website visitor was first discovered (Example: List Import, Web Page Visit)
  • Registration Source Type = The location an activity first became a lead (Example: List Import, Web Page Visit)

Original Source Type is best to categorize how you got the lead, Registration Source Type is how the lead entered your system.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Frank. Right after I posted this question I discovered that article as well. Thanks for your feedback!

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Does anyone know how to properly pull the data for these fields into Salesforce?

Anonymous
Not applicable

To add to this question, is anyone having the same problem using "registration source type" or "original source type" as Triggers in Smart Campaign, or Filters in Smart List?  Thank you

Frank_Breen2
Level 10

Malik Zafar​ and Emma Wu​​ you can do this by adding the Change Data Value in the Flow, then changing the value to the {{Lead. value:

screen.jpg

You may have to play around with the Block Field Updates too, so you can only write to it once: Block Updates to a Field - Marketo Docs - Product Docs​.

To see a list of {{Lead. tokens, go to here: Tokens Overview - Marketo Docs - Product Docs. The tokens you want should be {{Lead.Original Source Type}} and {{Lead.Registration Source Type}}, add each of these to the New Value part in separate steps, this should then change the value of your SFDC field to the system managed fields.

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Thank you Frank Breen​ - I think we're getting to the root of the problem.

I did what you said above, but here's where I'm stuck.

Capture5.PNG

For Choice 1, I can select "Original Source Type" but under Attribute I don't see that field. What does this mean?

Frank_Breen2
Level 10

In the "If" part, you want to put the field your are using in SFDC then the New Value will be the {{Lead.Original Source Type}},. Basically you are pushing what is stored in the system field into your SFDC field. What is your SFDC Source field called and I can do a demo.

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

So in the "if" part, I am putting the name of the field as it appears in SF and not Marketo? I believe they're the same however, here are two screenshots that might help you.

Salesforce:

Capture6.PNG

Marketo:

Capture7.PNG

Frank_Breen2
Level 10

You can't update this field as it's set by the system, I thought your question was how to push the data from these fields into another field. If you are having issues seeing them in Salesforce, it sounds like they are not showing in the Lead or Contact Objects rather than a Marketo sync error, in Salesforce (Admin access needed) go to Setup -> Leads -> Page Layouts or Setup -> Contacts -> Page Layouts and make sure the Marketo Original Source Type is visible.