SOLVED

Re: Opt-in (consent) in API forms send False when the checkbox is not filled for peple who already provided a consent, how can we fix it?

Go to solution
Stoyanova
Level 2

Opt-in (consent) in API forms send False when the checkbox is not filled for peple who already provided a consent, how can we fix it?

Hi All,

We have a different API (not Marketo) forms on our website that allow people to opt-in for future e-mail communications by checking a checkbox  (related to the Opt-in field which is boolean). If they check it, they get opted in, if not they don't. Unfortunately, we've discovered that if someone who previously opted-in does not check the opt-in box on their next form submission, they then get opted-out as the checkbox returns a false to Marketo. 

We can't hide the checkbox for the people who are already subscribed since it is one-way integration from API forms to Marketo. 

What to do in Marketo, to be able to ignore the false opted-out coming from the API forms?

Thank you,

Ivelina

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Opt-in (consent) in API forms send False when the checkbox is not filled for peple who already provided a consent, how can we fix it?

First, to be clear to anybody reading, there isn’t anything to “fix” per se — Marketo is doing exactly what you should expect if you pass it a false value for a Boolean field.

The fault is fundamentally with the form design and the fact that it doesn’t read the person’s existing values. That’s one of many reasons why using a Marketo form — with Pre-FIll — is better than trying to roll your own one-way form.

Because you don’t know what the person’s previous value was, it‘s wrong to assume that leaving the checkbox unchecked means they should still be opted-in (if already opted-in). If they left the value empty, the user assumes they are not opted-in. Otherwise, you’re not allowing them opt-out, ever. That cannot be legal, even in an underregulated place (like most of the US).

View solution in original post

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@Stoyanova ,

As per some of the the other comments, It is the one way nature of your architecture that is the core problem.

One potential 'solution' (and I use the term loosely) is to replace your checkbox with radio buttons with labels for opt-in and opt-out, have neither selected, and make them mandatory.  This way, the person filling the form has to make a conscious decision as to whether to opt in or opt out.  If they choose to opt out, you know it is for real.  FWIW - I tend to use this approach even in Marketo forms as it does force someone to choose, as opposed to being able to blast straight through a checkbox without even thinking about it.

Cheers

Jo

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Prashanth_K
Level 2

Note from moderator: this suggestion is not recommended for reasons explained later in the thread.

Hi @Stoyanova , 

For already opted-in users, Create a trigger campaign and whenever the data value changes from true to false, make sure you change the data value as "True" in the flow step and set "Each person can run through the flow every time".  

Thanks, 

Prashanth

SanfordWhiteman

For already opted-in users, Create a trigger campaign and whenever the data value changes from true to false, make sure you change the data value as "True" in the flow step and set "Each person can run through the flow every time".  

You’re making the dangerous assumption that there’s no such thing as an internal opt-out after someone has opted-in. There’s no jurisdiction where this is allowed.

SanfordWhiteman

First, to be clear to anybody reading, there isn’t anything to “fix” per se — Marketo is doing exactly what you should expect if you pass it a false value for a Boolean field.

The fault is fundamentally with the form design and the fact that it doesn’t read the person’s existing values. That’s one of many reasons why using a Marketo form — with Pre-FIll — is better than trying to roll your own one-way form.

Because you don’t know what the person’s previous value was, it‘s wrong to assume that leaving the checkbox unchecked means they should still be opted-in (if already opted-in). If they left the value empty, the user assumes they are not opted-in. Otherwise, you’re not allowing them opt-out, ever. That cannot be legal, even in an underregulated place (like most of the US).

Jo_Pitts1

@Stoyanova ,

As per some of the the other comments, It is the one way nature of your architecture that is the core problem.

One potential 'solution' (and I use the term loosely) is to replace your checkbox with radio buttons with labels for opt-in and opt-out, have neither selected, and make them mandatory.  This way, the person filling the form has to make a conscious decision as to whether to opt in or opt out.  If they choose to opt out, you know it is for real.  FWIW - I tend to use this approach even in Marketo forms as it does force someone to choose, as opposed to being able to blast straight through a checkbox without even thinking about it.

Cheers

Jo

SanfordWhiteman

Completely agree with Jo. Radios with no default can make it so neither choice is implicit, only explicit.
Stoyanova
Level 2

Thank you, Jo,

Confirmed with the legal, that if the opt-in checkbox is visible and a person doesn't check it during the submission the Opt-in should be changed to false and the person should be opted-out from receiving marketing communication. 

Best Regards,

Ivelina

Jo_Pitts1

@Stoyanova ,

Legal is 100% correct on that (and god it hurt me to say that 🙂 ).  

Again, if you move to a radio button approach, at least you'll know they actively CHOSE to opt out, rather than doing it by omission.

Cheers

Jo

Michael_Florin
Level 10

One potential 'solution' (and I use the term loosely) is to replace your checkbox with radio buttons with labels for opt-in and opt-out, have neither selected, and make them mandatory.  This way, the person filling the form has to make a conscious decision as to whether to opt in or opt out.  If they choose to opt out, you know it is for real. 

I think this is a reasonable approach, yet I don't like the overall scenario. I think an person that is already opted in should a) not be forced to express their consent every time they submit a form and b) would not expect to be opted out should they not check the box. Yet, of course, you have to opt them out should they not check it. Otherwise the box would be meaningless.

I find it natural and common sense to hide the opt-in box for already opted-in persons. But yes, I understand that technically that is no different from pre-checking the box which is forbidden under GDPR. For me, this is a conundrum.

Jo_Pitts1

@Michael_Florin ,

if you go back to the top of the thread, you'll note they aren't using Marketo forms.  From the conversation, I think it is a safe bet to say a read back isn't being done from Marketo, so there is no knowledge of the opt in status (or any other details) of someone doing the form fill.

If that knowledge was there, rather than hiding the opt-in, you'd validly pre-populate it with their current preference and allow them to over-ride it.

Cheers

Jo