SOLVED

Re: Operational Programs to Manage and Clean Database

Go to solution
Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Operational Programs to Manage and Clean Database

Hello,

I was wondering what kind of operational programs should be a part of every quality "data management center" in Marketo. I'm in the process of reviewing what's already in place and also defining any gaps in an effort to clean up my database. As an example, we just recently built out a program to help with SPAM traps.

What other types of programs should be in place? Please feel free to share what this part of your instance looks like and/or any articles related to this topic.

Also, what are the necessary steps every Marketo user should take to adequately "clean" their database?

Thanks for your help,

Tom

Tom Kerlin
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Tom,

If you do a search here for "data management" and "deliverability" or "data cleanliness" you will find lots of options. I have several articles on my site You searched for data management - Marketing Rockstar Guides

Other articles: https://developers.marketo.com/blog/how-to-clean-your-marketo-database/

RingLead, Etumos, and some other agencies also make suggestions on their sites.

It depends on your needs, size of database, etc. Thoughts

• Country cleaner (although if you tighten your forms and picklists, you shouldn't need this eventually)
  • Lead Source cleaners
  • Hard bounced cleaners
  • Soft  bounce suspenders

Sales will want data enrichment, which really requires external tools like data.com, ringlead, leandata, etc.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Tom,

If you do a search here for "data management" and "deliverability" or "data cleanliness" you will find lots of options. I have several articles on my site You searched for data management - Marketing Rockstar Guides

Other articles: https://developers.marketo.com/blog/how-to-clean-your-marketo-database/

RingLead, Etumos, and some other agencies also make suggestions on their sites.

It depends on your needs, size of database, etc. Thoughts

• Country cleaner (although if you tighten your forms and picklists, you shouldn't need this eventually)
  • Lead Source cleaners
  • Hard bounced cleaners
  • Soft  bounce suspenders

Sales will want data enrichment, which really requires external tools like data.com, ringlead, leandata, etc.

Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Thanks Josh!

Tom Kerlin
Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Hey Josh,

Do you recall what the other 9 domains (in the spam trap section of this article: https://developers.marketo.com/blog/how-to-clean-your-marketo-database/) are to consider?

Also, it seems that the 'number of times' and 'in past' constraints won't have any affect on triggers. The below screenshot is an example smart list that's used in that same article (for managing multiple soft bounces).

pastedImage_0.png

Tom Kerlin
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

I'm working on some database cleaning and came across this post.

Thanks for this article: https://developers.marketo.com/blog/how-to-clean-your-marketo-database/

I see abuse@,postmaster@ and security@ listed and I'm curious what the other 9 domains in the spam trap section are to consider.

Michelle

Shannon_Kelly1
Level 4

Hi Michelle,

I found these elsewhere on the web. ( Understanding spam - NationBuilder  ) You might want to pick and choose which to block, but could be helpful:

Role Addresses Currently Blocked

• abuse@
  • accounting@
  • admin@
  • admissions@
  • all@
  • careers@
  • contact-us@
  • contact@
  • custserv@
  • devops@
  • everyone@
  • ftp@
  • help@
  • hostmaster@
  • info@
  • it@
  • jobs@
  • list@
  • mail@
  • marketing@
  • media@
  • no-reply@
  • noc@
  • postmaster@
  • remove@
  • request@
  • reservations@
  • root@
  • sales@
  • security@
  • spam@
  • subscribe@
  • support@
  • systems@
  • techops@
  • usenet@
  • users@
  • uucp@
  • webmaster@
  • www@

Also to the following lists:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great - thank you for the suggestions Shannon.