Re: Only one container is allowed per template

Joe123
Level 2

Only one container is allowed per template

We are building email templates, and we intend to make use of containers and modules so we can build emails without having to edit the html directly.

In one of these templates, we have more than one region in separate columns that each require a variable number of items each week.

There may be five to ten news articles in the main column each week, and two to five calendar items in the side column.

If only one container is allowed per template, how do we create a template with more than one region supporting a variable number of module items each?

Marketo
9 REPLIES 9
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Joe,

Yes, this is the case, only 1 container per template. There is not real workaround for this and you will have to trust the users to make the right usage of the available modules.

Read this:

Email editor 2.0 is leaving room for a v2.1

And vote here:

-Greg

Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

Hi Joe - not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly.

I don't think you need more than one container.

You can create a "news item" module and add that in 1 time or 100 times.

To give you an extreme example, you can create a "header" module that features your company logo. In the new email editor, you can have that header appear 100 times before the body content.

Joe123
Level 2

Nicholas,

If you view the PDF I posted, it may help illustrate.

Regarding the case you mentioned, I require another column to the right of the of the region containing the header and dynamic number of news items which would support a dynamic number of "event" items. The news items and event items would not exist in the same table or cell, but separate tables.

Marketo
Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

What does the individual module look like?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Nicholas,

The idea of having multiple containers is that you could restrain some module to only one container and make sure that the users cannot completely shuffle the template...

For instance, you would have a header container, in which the user could select between 2 banners, a content container in which a few content modules would be available and clonable and a footer container in which again the options would be limited (social network, legal mentions and unsubscribe zone)

-Greg

Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

I'm still confused I think.

Wouldn't you just design a template with the items you want users to be able to change as "mktEditable" classes and the areas you don't want them to change as regular html classes?

>For instance, you would have a header container, in which the user could select between 2 banners

if you're prepared to write this code twice for each header container, you might as well just write two header modules? It's up to your user whether they want to include both headers or not... That, or we need better permissions in what folders are accessible in the design studio.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Nicholas,

Yes, but in this case, nothing prevents the user to move the header module at the bottom of the email.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are many design cases where it would be nice to have multiple containers. What if I want two areas of editable modules separated by a hardcoded un-editable section? This is not possible without multiple containers.

Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

Hmmmmm...

depends what you mean by uneditable. You're right, I don't think you could have a piece of code that isn't surrounded by module tags, and therefore drag-and-droppable into and out of the email.

I suppose ultimately you (we) need a module that has a notEditable flag on it. But.. on the other hand, I guess if you did have a hardcoded section, you just wouldn't include any editable content in it.. but conceding... your users might just ditch it.