SOLVED

Re: One Static Landing Page for monthly newsletter

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

One Static Landing Page for monthly newsletter

Forgive me posting so many questions. Just going through the initial setup. I just encountered another unexpected challenge. I hope I can explain this well...

We send a monthly newsletter. It has the system link at the top to view a landing page version. This link seems specific to the viewer, judging by the code generated in the link url - likely for lead tracking purposes.

There is a third-party website with a link to this newsletter. So, it's general public traffic, not our tracked leads - nor do we want them to become leads, as we are B2B, not B2C. In the past ( in Pardot) we had to create a landing page version of the newsletter, then have their link changed so it points to the new Landing Page each month. But it's inefficient - more so in Marketo.

I was hoping I could make one landing page, Copy the email html into it each month. And the url to that page stays the same, eliminating this edit on the 3rd party site. But, I can't just copy the email html into my landing page. All the links are modified, and there are a few code changes that have to be done. I'd like to copy the html into the landing page without it getting tracked as some specific lead. Or, completely circumvent this, if there's something I don't know about.  Or maybe I'm overthinking this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right...

1. is already set up

2. This is what I want, but I'm hoping there's a way to transfer the content from the email into that page, without having to deal with links getting changed. I don't want to have to drop in the content twice every time, if I can just copy/paste. I think this might be solved though. It seems if I view the code of the email preview, then It posted without all my links modified.

I can go with this, unless somebody knows a simpler way.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I'm not sure if you have two questions or one.

1. The email you send can be seen as a webpage, this is generated based on the html in the email. Only people you email will see this.
  2. If you want to generate a page based on the HTML and link to it from somewhere else, you can do this by creating a Landing Page Template, then adding your content each week once you create a regular LP.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right...

1. is already set up

2. This is what I want, but I'm hoping there's a way to transfer the content from the email into that page, without having to deal with links getting changed. I don't want to have to drop in the content twice every time, if I can just copy/paste. I think this might be solved though. It seems if I view the code of the email preview, then It posted without all my links modified.

I can go with this, unless somebody knows a simpler way.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You might want to consider using program tokens for much of the content so that the content/images only need to be entered once; and then replicated across both your LP and newsletter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

ah.. a possibility, although it's a rather long, complicated, "why-are-you-sending-so-much" newsletter. But thaaat's a different issue

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I think this might be solved though. It seems if I view the code of the email preview, then It posted without all my links modified.

Yes, the raw source will never rewrite your links, by definition.

As far as keeping the link to "this months newsletter" a constant URL, this can be easily done by making the published link on the 3rd-party site a URL Rewrite Rule in Marketo. Then you can flip the target of the rewrite to whatever LP you want.  Personally, I'd be uncomfortable permanently overwriting the content each month; instead, you can give yourself a nice audit trail (and even a "last month's newsletter") by cloning LPs, but still offer the current one to the public.

Another related approach: my ShareMaker​ experiment is designed to dynamically generate shareable LPs from Marketo emails. It works with special markup in the email that allows the built-in View as Web Page to be shared safely on social sites, without personalized links (and with the ability to "re-gate" the linked content with a Marketo form of your choice).  In fairness, ShareMaker is designed for the a recipient of the email to reshare (the recipient could well be an internal user like you, but it isn't expressly designed to take an email from the editor to an LP -- it has to be emailed first).

Anonymous
Not applicable

That audit trail was definitely a concern - but then I didn't even realize I could rewrite URLs within Marketo! Something new to look into. I'll check out ShareMaker as well. Thank you!