SOLVED

Re: Not Webhook is called

Go to solution
Babu_Chikati
Level 2

Not Webhook is called

Hi Sanford,

This is in continuation to our discussion on "Accessing tag values" thread. Opening a new thread as "Accessing tag values" was marked as solved.

Quick recap from the previous thread

1. We can not access tag values via Marketo in-built token like how we access Lead attributes
  2. Read program tag values via API
  3. Have tokens defined and update token value with tag values and use these tokens (in my case as UTM parameter)

Now, I am thinking of following approach

1. Define a webhook which access tag values and update tokens
  2. Call the webook in the flow step by adding Choice "Not Webhook is Called" so that webhook is called only once for N number of emails we send for the program

Is  "Not Webhook is Called" as a choice in flow step guarantees that Webhook is called only once ? Can you please help me to understand more on   "Not Webhook is Called".  

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Babu

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You only need the webhook to execute once for the campaign. It doesn't matter whether the first person to run through the campaign runs the webhook or the last, or someone in the middle.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
SanfordWhiteman

Not Webhook is Called only pertains to the current record going through the flow. It’s not a global filter. (Note almost no Marketo Engage filters are cross-record; the only exception is the Possible Duplicates filter because it compares the current record to other records.)

You would have to use a resource record — that is, a person record dedicated to this purpose — to call the webhook. Add that record to the send campaign.

Babu_Chikati
Level 2

Thank you, Sanford!

So I would have to

1. Add a lead record say email@test.com to the list which is being used to send campaign emails
  2. Check if email address is email@test.com in the choice of Call Webhook flow step and call Webhook if email matches. This will ensure that Webhook is called only one time

If my understanding is correct

1. I need to add a lead record to campaign list every time I execute an email campaign where webhook has to be called before sending any email. Which is kind of dependency
  2. Not sure in which order marketo execute the campaign list because this specific lead has to be executed before any other campaign lead record to make sure webhook is called

Hope I understand your idea correctly.

Thanks,

Babu

SanfordWhiteman

Why are you worried about the order?

Babu_Chikati
Level 2

Say for example, if abc@test.com gets processed before email@test.com then webhook will not be called because of email address comparison to email@test.com. In such case UTM parameters will not be populated with tag values in the email that was sent to abc@test.com.

Thanks,

Babu

SanfordWhiteman

You only need the webhook to execute once for the campaign. It doesn't matter whether the first person to run through the campaign runs the webhook or the last, or someone in the middle.

Babu_Chikati
Level 2

Got it. Thank you Sanford!

Thanks for your help!

Thanks,

Babu

Babu_Chikati
Level 2

I have one more question, Sanford.

In case of failing to execute Webhook

1. Is there any way to block sending campaign emails and send an alert to campaign manager
  2. What are best practices to check for any exception/ Error from a Webhook

Thanks,

Babu 

SanfordWhiteman

You can trigger on Webhook is Called and constrain on the Response. That lets you see all kinds of HTTP-level errors and even unexpected content in the response.

Babu_Chikati
Level 2

Thank you so much, Sanford!

Thanks,

Babu