Re: Nested event programs - cloning

Jon_Wright
Level 4

Nested event programs - cloning

Hi

Although you can have an Event Programs with child event programs, I'm looking to clone some existing event programs to be child programs, but it doesn't seem to be possible - you can only clone to an Engagement Program or a Campaign folder (not another event Program)

Can anybody confirm if there is a way to do this that I'm missing?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Correct, to the best of my knowledge you can't have an Event program as a child of another Event program. You could do this with a Default program though, I believe.

Default program

Child Event Program 1

Child Event Program 2

Does that help?

Jon_Wright
Level 4

thanks @Phillip_Wild - to confirm you can have nested event programs:

parent-child-event-program.PNG

But what you seemingly can't do is clone an existing event program to be a child program:

event-program-clone.PNG

This feels like an oversight as it means having to create all of your child program assets again (e.g. reminder emails, thank you emails, reminder email smart campaigns) or clone them in individually. In our case, and I'm sure a lot of cases, these assets need to live in the child programs so they can use the {{member.webinar url}} token.

We have 6 child programs which is a lot of cloning and creates a lot of margin for error. Is this something that can be raised?

Phillip_Wild

Ah, apologies, I understand now.

I would raise this with Marketo Support (if you haven't already). This does seem strange - if you can create a nested program from scratch, you should be able to clone one in, logically speaking.

Ed_Ortega1
Level 2

Was there ever any resolution to this @Jon_Wright?

Darshil_Shah1

Doesn't seem like it, the nested event program may be considered as an asset different from the other marketing assets like email/LP/campaign, etc. under the parent event program and hence may not be not allowed to clone an existing event program in a nested event program? As a matter of fact, you can also not clone any of the existing program as a nested program in the default program too (similar to the event program case) through UI.

Jon_Wright
Level 4

Hi @Ed_Ortega1  it seems you can do this via the API but not the UI. So I've just been doing via a Python script when required, let me know if want any more info

Michael_Florin
Level 10

I found this post today, as I dealt with the scenario of creating a "webinar series" in Marketo. Or let's say: One webinar topic with many webinar dates - which is something you can set up in GoToWebinar e.g. but cannot easily represent in Marketo. And I was surprised that nesting event programs into other event programs was even possible. (And it is explicitly listed as not possible here: https://nation.marketo.com/t5/employee-blogs/next-level-nurture-q-amp-a-follow-up/ba-p/301603 - in question #2)

Yes, I see that you can't clone a program into a program, but I think that's a minor issue, given the fact you can clone assets into your children programs and that these children also inherit tokens from the parent program, so it was rather easy to create a template program for a many-date webinar that looks something like this:

Michael_Florin_1-1668963685313.png