SOLVED

Need to update hidden field using parameter in Marketo LP URL

Go to solution
Guitarrista82
Level 6

Need to update hidden field using parameter in Marketo LP URL

Hello Community,

I have seen a lot of discussions on this topic but nothing that seems to address my specific question--unless I missed it somewhere.

I have created a Direct Mail program in which we plan to mail 1 million members of a brand we manage. To our knowledge, these are not in Marketo. Our goal is to get them to opt into receiving emails.

These members each have a unique Member ID {{lead.Member ID}} that we use for a variety of reasons, including as an identifier in our marketing campaigns. The field is blocked from getting updates because it is a unique identifier and we don't want it to get overridden.

I have created a landing page and a form. The form includes a hidden field to capture the Member ID:

Guitarrista82_2-1647371377826.png

I have used the URL builder on the page as shown below:

Guitarrista82_0-1647371309175.png

The plan is to create a postcard with a QR code that contains the LP URL.

I have several excel sheets containing all of the member's information, including name, email address, and Member ID.

Before we create the postcard/QR code, we are going to paste the LP URL into each member's row and append the unique Member ID to the end of the URL as shown below:

https://promos.ovstravel.com/email-opt-in.html?Member_ID=AB123456

That URL will then be added to the QR code on each individual mailing piece.

The goal is for anyone who fills out the form and doesn't exist in Marketo already to have the Member ID field populated with the ID located in the URL.

My questions are:

1. Do we need to create a campaign to update the Member ID field with the Member ID located in the URL, or will this happen automatically when the person opts into receiving emails?

2. Will there be any issue with the Member ID getting filled in for those that didn't exist in Marketo?

Thank you,

LK

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Need to update hidden field using parameter in Marketo LP URL

Hi,

This sounds like the typical case for Hidden fields w/Autofill. Nothing special.

1. Do we need to create a campaign to update the Member ID field with the Member ID located in the URL, or will this happen automatically when the person opts into receiving emails?

You’re adding a form field with the value from the URL. So no, you do not need to do anything else in Marketo. It’s like any other form field.

2. Will there be any issue with the Member ID getting filled in for those that didn't exist in Marketo?

Nope, same as any other field populated at the time the lead is created.

View solution in original post

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

1. You're setting this field on the form via UTM - so this'll be set w/o the need to update via a campaign given that URL has apt member id set.

2. People not in Marketo will get created upon form-fill with apt Member Id value updated from the LP URL's UTM parameter - this should not cause any issues!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Hi,

This sounds like the typical case for Hidden fields w/Autofill. Nothing special.

You’re adding a form field with the value from the URL. So no, you do not need to do anything else in Marketo. It’s like any other form field.

Nope, same as any other field populated at the time the lead is created.

Darshil_Shah1

Ahh - sorry our responses crossed!

Guitarrista82
Level 6

Thank you so much Sanford!

Darshil_Shah1

1. You're setting this field on the form via UTM - so this'll be set w/o the need to update via a campaign given that URL has apt member id set.

2. People not in Marketo will get created upon form-fill with apt Member Id value updated from the LP URL's UTM parameter - this should not cause any issues!

Guitarrista82
Level 6

Thank you so much Darshil!