Re: Need to know UTM tracking methods

PrachiDevkar
Level 1

Need to know UTM tracking methods

Hi Team, I am seeking a solution on below scenario - If we are using any third party/Marketo website to capture the leads into Marketo with all details of UTM parameters (source,medium,content,term,course). While capturing this, as of now we are using complete URL with querystring parameters and passing these values through hidden form fields.
Now, We need an another solution other than URL with querystring and passing values through hidden form fields, Is there any other method/technique to get all the details into Marketo?

Note: while navigating the website/LP page the original source and medium should be captured. It shouldn't be overwritten..

12 REPLIES 12
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If we are using any third party/Marketo website to capture the leads into Marketo with all details of UTM parameters

You mean an embedded Marketo form? What does “third party/Marketo“ mean exactly?

We need an another solution other than URL with querystring and passing values through hidden form fields, Is there any other method/technique to get all the details into Marketo?

Why do you need a solution other than the typical use of query params? Please explain the situation in full, as I‘m afraid the question isn’t clear.

PrachiDevkar
Level 1

Yes, I mean Marketo embeded form. I need another solution as query parameter gets truncated due to some technical issues and hence we are not able to capture them.. In our case we push the leads into campaigns based on utm parameters such as utm campiagn. secondly we are moving to Adobe Target ( so basically we will be using Marketo forms embedded on the website via Adobe Target),  So is there a way to capture UTM parameters through Target?

SanfordWhiteman

Yes, I mean Marketo embeded form. I need another solution as query parameter gets truncated due to some technical issues and hence we are not able to capture them.

That’s still kind of vague. I assume you mean something is broken on your webserver where it truncates the query string, then redirects to the truncated URL. If so, fixing that should be your first priority, as it’s not acceptable to have query strings — so vital for attribution — be arbitrarily changed by your own infrastructure.

So is there a way to capture UTM parameters through Target?

Not if they’re being truncated. You’ll be in the same position.

Can you explain in detail what URL rules your server is enforcing? Does it strip the #hash as well as the query string?

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@PrachiDevkar ,

when you say the URL is getting truncated, do you mean that someone is navigating the site, and hence the UTM parameters in the URL are getting lost?

PrachiDevkar
Level 1

We are running ads via google , facebook. To track these leads we provide complete URL with query parameters and when they click on that ad  there is truncated url from facebook specially.

We have noticed that some of the leads are coming to marketo don’t have the complete parameters, few are missing. This is happening with few leads only, specially from facebook.. we have also contacted fb support for the same and did not get any solution. We think it is happening when someone click on ad and reach our LP. Specially from Kenya country.. It was told it might be due to certain extension but not sure… and hence we are seeking a different way to track the lead details such as UTM source , content, medium, campaign for the leads coming from different channels/campaigns, where we don’t have to use query parameters. We need to skip this query parameter way and need another way to track leads… I hope this is clear.

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

I can't think of a reason the URL would get truncated.  

@SanfordWhiteman , any thoughts on that one?

If it is genuinely getting truncated between ad click and landing page (be it Marketo or elsewhere), I think there are bigger fish to fry.

Can you provided examples of leads missing parameters?  Are they missing some or all?  Is it always the same parameter?

SanfordWhiteman

I can't think of a reason the URL would get truncated. 

Presumably by some kind of state-run proxy in this case for privacy (?) reasons. Don’t know anything about Kenya’s policies.

There is an interesting hack you can do with Marketo LPs so that the tracking information is in the path, not the query string. Then you can move it into the query string in JavaScript — first thing you do, before loading Munchkin or GA. But I’d want some solid evidence that the path won’t be tampered with before going that route.

PrachiDevkar
Level 1

Yes

PrachiDevkar
Level 1

I did not get right solution yet, somehow I clicked on mark as correct and it got solved.. apologise..