Re: Need to know UTM tracking methods

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I did not get right solution yet, somehow I clicked on mark as correct and it got solved.. apologise..

Unmarked it as Correct, but you still need to specify what you want to happen.

I can tell you how to put what’s typically in the query string in the pathname instead, like

https://pages.example.com/mypage/utm_campaign=camp1&utm_medium=med1

(Note that only works out of the box on Marketo LPs, you can’t just expect it to work on your corporate website as the back end needs to expect that structure.)

But you must test ahead of time to see if this would stop the URL from being truncated, or it’s not worth doing. For all we know, whatever mixed-up security/privacy proxy you’re dealing with would — utterly erroneously — think the last path segment is a query string and erase it.

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

I'm just bewildered by the notion the URL is getting truncated.

If it is getting truncated, then no other cleverness to pull stuff from query string to pathname will help (or am I missing something blindingly obvious?)

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If it's truly being truncated after a number of characters, yes (although you could still put data in the hash as that is never processed by the server or proxy). But I've been assuming it's stripping the query string specifically.