SOLVED

Re: My Normal trigger campaign is still running after my high priority campaign even after including it's triggers and filters in my own campaign. Why ?

Go to solution
MMundra1
Level 3

My Normal trigger campaign is still running after my high priority campaign even after including it's triggers and filters in my own campaign. Why ?

Objective: I need to create a campaign which accepts future date in "Marketing Consent Event Date" and "Privacy Notice Given Date" fields.

Problem: There is one trigger campaign created at the operational level which triggers when the Privacy Notice value gets updated and it changes the Privacy Notice date to be {{system.date}}. However, I created my trigger campaign (which includes the triggers for Marketing Consent, Marketing Consent Event date, Privacy Notice, Privacy Notice Given date triggers and filters) and set the priority as "High" so that I can override the already created trigger, and set the dates to be {{system.date}} + 1days in the flow step as can be seen in the snapshot below:

MMundra1_0-1691738786205.pngMMundra1_1-1691738800490.pngMMundra1_2-1691738818884.pngMMundra1_3-1691738829566.png

The issue is my campaign is overriding the operational trigger campaign and setting the dates to be 1 day in future but after a couple of seconds, the operational campaign runs and changes the Privacy Notive Given date back to {{system.date}}.

Is there any reason why this operational campaign is running when I have already included all the triggers and filters from it in my own campaign ? How can I ensure it to remain active but not changing the dates ?

Mahak Mundra
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: My Normal trigger campaign is still running after my high priority campaign even after including it's triggers and filters in my own campaign. Why ?

This is bound to happen as you have 2 campaigns that trigger on the same Data Value Change for the Privacy Notice field (assuming values in the New Value constraint are the same for both) but have different flows. You need to add filter conditions or constraints to the trigger so the campaign you don’t want to trigger doesn’t get triggered. I’d not recommend using filters that may not guarantee the same result every time for this, e.g., Not Data Value Changed “Privacy Notice Given Date” by your non-operational campaign within the past few minutes (the one that you have added snapshots below). This hacky filter to suppress people from flowing through the Operational campaign assumes that the non-operational campaign always runs before the operational campaign which may not always be the case even though you have overridden priority for the non-operational campaign.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Darshil_Shah1

This is bound to happen as you have 2 campaigns that trigger on the same Data Value Change for the Privacy Notice field (assuming values in the New Value constraint are the same for both) but have different flows. You need to add filter conditions or constraints to the trigger so the campaign you don’t want to trigger doesn’t get triggered. I’d not recommend using filters that may not guarantee the same result every time for this, e.g., Not Data Value Changed “Privacy Notice Given Date” by your non-operational campaign within the past few minutes (the one that you have added snapshots below). This hacky filter to suppress people from flowing through the Operational campaign assumes that the non-operational campaign always runs before the operational campaign which may not always be the case even though you have overridden priority for the non-operational campaign.

MMundra1
Level 3

Thanks for the response Darshil. I will try to add some additional filter conditions or constraints on my operational campaign to stop executing in this case. However, I am interested to know if both the campaigns have "Default" priority order then why my operational program campaign is running ahead of my non operational program campaign ?

Is there any default priority set by Marketo for the operational programs ?

Mahak Mundra
Darshil_Shah1

Is there any default priority set by Marketo for the operational programs ?

Nope, Marketo doesn't differentiate b/w your operational/non-operational campaigns - they're all just campaigns to Marketo. 🙂

Based on the flow, Marketo assigns a priority to each trigger campaign, and in your case, if I'm not wrong since the operational campaign is a bit simpler than the non-operational campaign, it generally runs before, but that behavior isn't guaranteed always, especially because both the campaigns have same priority order.

MMundra1
Level 3

Gotcha. Yes, you are right as my operational program campaign have less triggers and filters as compared to non-operation campaign. Thank you so much for the response.

Mahak Mundra
Darshil_Shah1

You're very welcome, @MMundra1! Glad to be of help.

Katja_Keesom

I think I would rather add the filter based on the actual value and not the data value change in this use case. If the date is in the future the trigger should not work. That way, even if the queue is blocked by something big running, it will work correctly assuming your own campaign runs first. The few minutes wait step is something I would always try to avoid.

Alice_Weaver2
Level 1

Another thing to keep in mind, is that you can always make use of 'request campaign' functionality, to help control leads flowing in campaigns in the correct order.