Re: Munchkin Tracking Question

Anonymous
Not applicable

Munchkin Tracking Question

Good morning all,

I have been poking around the community in the documents and articles on Munchkin. I read this from an article:

"On a lead's first visit to a page on your domain, a new anonymous lead record will be created in Marketo. The primary key for this record is the Munchkin (_mkto_trk) cookie which is created in the user's browser and all subsequent web activity on that browser will be recorded against this anonymous record. In order to be associated to a known record in Marketo, one of the following things must happen:"

• The lead must visit a Munchkin-tracked page with an mkt_tok parameter in the querysytring from a tracked Marketo email link.
  • The lead must fill out a Marketo Form.
  • A Munchkin associateLead call must be sent to your Marketo instance.
  • A SOAP syncLead or REST Associate Lead call must be sent.

I am wondering if I am able to use a non Marketo landing page and a non Marketo form...Munchkin tracking code will be on that non Marketo landing page. Will I be able to track a user if they fill out the non Marketo form? I wasn't sure if there was anything that can be done through API or backend coding (I am unfamiliar in that department).

Thank you!

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you can use the Munchkin associateLead call, the SOAP syncLead, or the REST Associate Lead call.

Munchkin API » Marketo Developers

syncLead » Marketo Developers

Associate Lead » Marketo Developers

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Amanda, if you are not a coder, you will not be able to use the API options. This includes the Munchkin API associateLead call, which requires server-side code (REST and SOAP should be last resorts for this even if you are a coder).  

Rather, I suggest you use a client-side cross-post.  In essence you will gather the form fields from your non-Marketo form and submit them to Marketo -- either instead of, or in addition to, submitting them to your own server.  While some code will be required, we should be able to work through it here on the Community, which would be impossible with server-side code.  Do you actually need the fields stored on your server for any reason, or did someone just build you a fancy form?  Do you have a link to the form now?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Sanford and Kristen!

We have a whole dev team at my company so I can utilize them for the API options. I just wanted to make sure that it was possible to have Munchkin on non-Marketo landing pages and non-Marketo forms.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

OK.  They should use the Munchkin API (associateLead) for this project.  Definitely avoid REST and SOAP APIs here because you'll just create an opening for a DoS attack.  Those APIs should be used for bulk/server-to-server projects, not for proxying end user activities.