SOLVED

Re: Munchkin code implications when your IP address changes

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Munchkin code implications when your IP address changes

One of my customers based in India is sharing with me that their IP addresses are different every time they use the internet.

He is worried about the proper Munchkin code tracking.

Would you have any recommendations for this particular scenario?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Lots of home/consumer internet users have dynamic IPs as well.  Once they have a Munchkin cookie, they are tracked using the cookie, which will be sent regardless of their source IP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman

Lots of home/consumer internet users have dynamic IPs as well.  Once they have a Munchkin cookie, they are tracked using the cookie, which will be sent regardless of their source IP.

Anna_Blanchet1
Level 4

Hi Sanford,

I encountered the same question while trying to explain munchkin code to our development team. They proposed that if the IP address is masked, we won't be able to associate web visits to a known lead unless they fill out a subsequent form.

I thought the munchkin code was cookied to the IP address. Is that not the case? If so, could you provide a brief explanation of what it's associated to so I can relay to our development team?

Many thanks!

Anna

SanfordWhiteman

By "masked" do they mean "the actual local IP address of the lead's computer is hidden behind a NAT router"?  That makes no difference.  The Munchkin cookie, like all cookies, is stored in the browser.  A subsequent visit from the same browser will send that same associated cookie to Marketo, even if the user has gone mobile in the meantime, connected over VPN, or gotten a new ISP altogether.

You do lose association -- without the lead necessarily intending for that to happen -- if the user clears all their cookies (maybe to solve a login problem on another site but you're caught in the crossfire) or they connect from a new browser or device.  The lead will also not be associated on other domains, even if you perceive those domains to also be "yours," without additional code.