SOLVED

Re: moving emails and leads to another program - sending same email twice?

Go to solution
Tom_Liolios4
Level 4

moving emails and leads to another program - sending same email twice?

Hi all,

I have a lot of different engagement programs that I want to consolidate into fewer programs.

Now before I do so, I need to be sure that moving leads and emails from one program to another, does not lead to sending duplicate emails.

This is the scenario:

I need to consolidate engagement programs, and utilize different streams within one engagement program.

John received email 1 in engagement program A.

Now, I want to move email 1 to engagement program B - stream 2.

Also, John needs to be added to Engagement program B - stream 2, because he is not done yet with the email flow. Email 2, 3 and 4 are still waiting.

My question now is, will John, as a new member of Engagement program 2, receive email 1 again, or not?

Does moving an email ensure that it is NOT sent twice to a lead who already received it?

Appreciate all the input!

Just need to be sure here.

Thanks,

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Geoff_Krajeski1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Emails have a unique ID within Marketo.

If you open your email, you will notice a URL construct such as app-@@@.marketo.com/#EM#####A1LA1

In this way, the number/hash/pound symbols represent the unique ID of this email.

If you utilized the same email in BOTH Engagement Program Streams (pulling from the Design Studio, or same Marketing Activities location), this should alleviate the duplicate send (based on the aforementioned ID).

-Geoff

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Colin_Mann
Level 5

As a practical suggestion if you only have 4 emails why not wait until the streams are done and then consolidate going forwards with new email content? You will have good reasons but I wonder if consolidating when you only have 4 emails might use more of your time than it's worth.

Marketo won't duplicate sending the same email to a contact within the streams within the same #engagement program but you're looking at separate programs and in this scenario one possible approach might depend on the streams in the other Engagement Program e.g. you could transition people over using triggered transition rules but drop them into stream 2 instead of 1 (just as an example if the email is in stream 1) i.e. you'd use 'Add to Engagement Program' flow step and then choose the stream.

How are you planning to consolidate? Are you going to be using #transition rules using triggers?

Finally do wait for some Marketo users with more expertise to comment.

Tom_Liolios4
Level 4

Hi Colin,

Well unfortunately the streams will 'never' be done, because new leads are added on a continuous basis by campaigns triggered in CRM by our sales team.

It would indeed by ideal to let the current program members finish the nurture flows, but I cannot prevent new leads from being added.

Indeed, within the same engagement program Marketo will not send duplicate emails. However, with separate programs, as described in my scenario, I'm unsure what will happen.

Ideally, I'd consolidate the engagement programs by moving emails & members from engagement program A to engagement program B - stream 2. Then, I'll deactivate engagement program A. Problem here is, I do not want to resend duplicate emails to these members of program A, who are now in program B - stream 2.

Colin_Mann
Level 5

That was what I was driving towards - if your duplicated emails were in stream 1, 2, 3 (or whatever) then you can use transition rule triggers to move leads from program A to program B but just have them join after the stream with the duplicated emails because you can tell Marketo to have them join a certain stream. This is a simple solution as long as your duplicate emails are not spread over many streams in the new program.

Geoff_Krajeski1

Emails have a unique ID within Marketo.

If you open your email, you will notice a URL construct such as app-@@@.marketo.com/#EM#####A1LA1

In this way, the number/hash/pound symbols represent the unique ID of this email.

If you utilized the same email in BOTH Engagement Program Streams (pulling from the Design Studio, or same Marketing Activities location), this should alleviate the duplicate send (based on the aforementioned ID).

-Geoff

Geoff_Krajeski1

Also, best way to ensure this, is to first test yourself.

I always have a number of dummy leads hooked to email addresses I can monitor and check for which activities I would logically expect to occur.

Tom_Liolios4
Level 4

Thanks Geoff,

Will this unique ID theory still hold when I physically move the email assets to another program?

We are reaching the engagement program limit within our subscription, so I need to consolidate programs and delete the obsolete programs.

Thanks again,

Tom

Geoff_Krajeski1

Tom Liolios

Are the emails contained under each program at the moment?

Tom_Liolios4
Level 4

Geoff krajeski

I have a set of emails under engagement program A, and a set of emails under engagement program B.

Both programs have members.

Now I want to move the emails of program A to another stream in program B, and add the members of program A to this new stream in program B.

Am I good to go, or do you foresee problems with sending duplicate emails?

Geoff_Krajeski1

Tom Liolios​,

Follow me so I can DM you and we'll get it figured out