SOLVED

Re: mkt_tok isn't appearing when I click through to my landing page

Go to solution
Megan_Koelemay
Level 4

mkt_tok isn't appearing when I click through to my landing page

I'm stumped - I have an email newsletter that links to a Marketo landing page, and when I click through (the real email, not a test), the mkt_tok doesn't appear in the URL.  This is problematic because we're hoping to pre-fill form fields on the landing page.

I've confirmed that pre-fill is enabled on the form fields.  Plus, the other non-LP links in my email DO have the mkt_tok appended.

I did try to also use query parameters to pull in the data (like &First={{lead.First Name}}&Last={{lead.Last Name}}&Email={{lead.Email Address}}) and that didn't work either.  When I remove them, I still have the same problem.  

What am I missing?? 

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The mkt_tok is always stripped from the URL immediately after loading. So have you verified that it isn’t there in the initial redirect?

It sounds to me like your primary Munchkin session is associated with a lead other than the one that received the email. Pre-Fill is disabled in that case. In Incognito this won’t happen because you start with an anonymous session.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
SanfordWhiteman

If the link is tracked (producing a Clicked Email in the Activity Log), then by default the mkt_tok is added as well. It’s possible to have a tracked link without the mkt_tok but you would have to do deliberate, manual configuration to accomplish this.

So the first question is: is the click tracked?

Megan_Koelemay
Level 4

Yes, in the "Edit Link" area of my email links, both tracking options are selected (Track Link and Include mkt_tok).

Megan_Koelemay
Level 4

And I've confirmed it creates a "Clicked Email" activity in the Activity Logs.  

SanfordWhiteman

Does it then create a “Visited Web Page” (assuming Munchkin is also running on the page, of course)?
Megan_Koelemay
Level 4

Hmm, it does not!  And the webpage does have Munchkin on it (it's a Marketo LP and I didn't change any code to remove it or anything).

SanfordWhiteman

That tells us something. Now try it with an Incognito window.

Megan_Koelemay
Level 4

Aha!  The pre-fill worked in Incognito!  (Side note, I copied the email link with our branded domain before it switched over to the final URL.)  But, the mkt_tok is not there.

If I remove those URL parameters from the final URL, the pre-fill does NOT work in Incognito (and the mkt_tok is still missing).  

SanfordWhiteman

The mkt_tok is always stripped from the URL immediately after loading. So have you verified that it isn’t there in the initial redirect?

It sounds to me like your primary Munchkin session is associated with a lead other than the one that received the email. Pre-Fill is disabled in that case. In Incognito this won’t happen because you start with an anonymous session.

Megan_Koelemay
Level 4

Do you mean it's always stripped from landing page links?  I've seen it persist on non-LPs.  I'm not sure how to verify what you're asking, because the initial URL is just our branded tracking domain followed by a mess of letters and numbers, with no discernable mkt_tok.  

That makes sense!  I just went and filled out a different form on our website to reassociate my lead that I was using for the email newsletter, and then clicked through the email again, and now the pre-fill works!  Phew... Many thanks @SanfordWhiteman  for the assistance!