SOLVED

Re: Microsoft Dynamics Campaigns Not Showing in Marketo

Go to solution
michellechopin
Level 6

Microsoft Dynamics Campaigns Not Showing in Marketo

Happy Monday, Community friends!

We're still working on our new Marketo instance launch (we went live last week but we're finishing up some final elements to get us to 100%) and we're now using the Add to Microsoft Campaign flow step in smart campaigns (prior we used a CDV step with the the GUID and campaign name respectively to overcome past issues with lookup fields). 

When we use the Add To Microsoft Campaign flow step, we only seem to see the campaigns that we created recently in the new instance - it appears that all the migrated campaigns are not showing. We have 576 total Active campaigns in Dynamics, but only 12 show in the dropdown list in Marketo.

Some notes for context: 

• The CRM Team migrated ALL existing Dynamics Campaigns into the new instance, all of which have the same names and GUIDs as in the legacy instance
  • Our Campaign Sync is on
  • All campaigns are active in Dynamics

I'm not getting a lot of help from our CRM team in terms of troubleshooting so wondering if anyone here has an idea of what might be wrong or that we can check/turn on/update (note: I'm not a Dynamics admin or even a proper user beyond setting up campaigns so I can't do anything on that side sadly).

Appreciate any assistance!

Michelle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
michellechopin
Level 6

After submitting a ticket to Marketo Support we were able to get this resolved! 

Our Support Agent resynced a test campaign and after seeing that it worked, then resynced the entire Campaign entity - that seemed to resolve most of the campaign sync items, and the agent individually synced any remaining campaigns after that. I asked for more detail on what might have caused this and received the following:

This likely happened because of the way the Marketo-Dynamics campaign sync functions. I'm assuming that when these campaigns were migrated, nothing was written to the Marketo log and the sync user did not see any updates to pull into Marketo. The new campaigns did sync to Marketo because a create action was likely written to the Marketo log. I believe the issue here was the fact that the campaigns already existed and migrating them to the new MSD instance did not trigger any actions that the sync user would pick up on.

We were also given a potential workaround should this happen again, to try changing an element of the campaign, for example change the name and then change it back - this might pull the campaign into Marketo. If not, we were instructed to send another support ticket in. However, as this issue seemed to be isolated to our migrated campaigns, and we're all up-to-date on those now, I don't anticipate running into this again (all newly created campaigns are syncing quickly). 

I also took your advice and had our CRM admin check the sync user permissions JUST in case something had fallen off or disconnected with recent updates to Dynamics - all looked as it should so it was nice to eliminate that as a source.

Another learning experience for a very unique situation - appreciate your troubleshooting tips and hopefully this helps anyone else out in the future who might go through the same migration process as we have!

Michelle 😀

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

This is interesting! If you've issues seeing your Dynamics campaigns in Marketo- it has to do with the following:

• Campaign Sync isn't functional/turned on
  • Campaigns in MSD aren't active

As you're saying both of the above are well in place, and you see your new campaigns as well, it's just the old ones that are missing, so it might be a question for the support maybe? Also, I hope the sync user has got all the relevant permissions it needs to see and access all the campaigns.

michellechopin
Level 6

Thanks @Darshil_Shah1 !

The assumption is that something is wrong in Marketo but given that some of the campaigns are showing, I have a feeling that it's the migrated campaigns not being seen for some reason.

I'm going to check on the sync user as I don't see it clearly in Marketo (we didn't appear to have a specific one in our last instance either), and I'll get a support ticket in as a confirmation and/or to see if there's anything extra to look into.

Appreciate you validating this for me 😀

Michelle

Darshil_Shah1

You're welcome, @michellechopin! Let us know what you find. Thanks! 🙂

michellechopin
Level 6

After submitting a ticket to Marketo Support we were able to get this resolved! 

Our Support Agent resynced a test campaign and after seeing that it worked, then resynced the entire Campaign entity - that seemed to resolve most of the campaign sync items, and the agent individually synced any remaining campaigns after that. I asked for more detail on what might have caused this and received the following:

This likely happened because of the way the Marketo-Dynamics campaign sync functions. I'm assuming that when these campaigns were migrated, nothing was written to the Marketo log and the sync user did not see any updates to pull into Marketo. The new campaigns did sync to Marketo because a create action was likely written to the Marketo log. I believe the issue here was the fact that the campaigns already existed and migrating them to the new MSD instance did not trigger any actions that the sync user would pick up on.

We were also given a potential workaround should this happen again, to try changing an element of the campaign, for example change the name and then change it back - this might pull the campaign into Marketo. If not, we were instructed to send another support ticket in. However, as this issue seemed to be isolated to our migrated campaigns, and we're all up-to-date on those now, I don't anticipate running into this again (all newly created campaigns are syncing quickly). 

I also took your advice and had our CRM admin check the sync user permissions JUST in case something had fallen off or disconnected with recent updates to Dynamics - all looked as it should so it was nice to eliminate that as a source.

Another learning experience for a very unique situation - appreciate your troubleshooting tips and hopefully this helps anyone else out in the future who might go through the same migration process as we have!

Michelle 😀

Katja_Keesom

Ah, that actually does make sense in a way that you would only think of for the Marketo<>MSD sync.

Thanks for updating the conversation.