Re: Measuring form activity

Anonymous
Not applicable

Measuring form activity

Is there a way to track where traffic is coming from when looking at the list of contacts that filled out a form?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

We use URL Parameters to track where the web traffic is coming from. This hidden field in the form also determines which SFDC campaign the individual gets added to from form fills - which is one way we measure success. Here's the link to the hidden field info: Set a Hidden Form Field Value - Marketo Docs - Product Docs You can create your parameters in the URL builder to use in your campaigns.

Kristen_Malkov1
Level 8

Emily Dick's idea is great! Using URL parameters are awesome if you're pushing a lot from your website. You can pull how many people visit the form from an email through the clicked link reports, but it seems like you're more concerned with external visitors. You could also incorporate Google Analytics and some tracking if you're embedding your forms directly onto landing pages and not necessarily using landing pages all the time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info! Do either of you have a step by step guide on how to implement URL parameters? The product doc is very high level.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have a step by step guide but I can tell you how we do it at my company. We use parameters in a couple ways:

1. Campaign tracking code: this tracks which campaign the lead came from to get to the download page so we can allocate the lead to the appropriate SFDC Campaign while using one form/LP/flow
    1. This code is kept in a field in the SFDC Campaign and the URL is created through the Marketo URL Builder
  2. Lead Source Management: we now use the URL Parameters in all our links to track lead source, channel/vendor and asset. This one is a little more structured so that everyone uses the same tags to build their asset. Our web manager built a google doc that uses our values for lead source and channel so it's a picklist for the users. The asset is a copy and paste from the asset name. The URL is built automatically so that the user just grabs the output and pastes it into their emails etc.

Edit your form -> select the field -> change type to Hidden -> edit the field -> Get Value From select "URL Parameter"

The Parameter Name you enter is the name you gave to the field in your URL. We use Google's UTM names. For example, utm_source = Lead Source

URL-Builder-ACL.png

Marketo will automatically pull in the value (such as Content Syndication) into the field from the URL.

Hope that helps!

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Emily,

Here's a guide I wrote that shows how to use URL Parameters for lead source tracking. Hope it helps!

Tracking Lead Sources