Re: Marketo + Squarespace

Joey_Taralson
Level 2

Marketo + Squarespace

Our company's blog is hosted through Squarespace. We had previously been using a MailChimp form as a "monthly blog digest" opt-in. Visitors would receive a pop-up after a few seconds, asking them to subscribe to the digest. When submitted, their name and email address would be added to a list in MailChimp.

Now that we have Marketo, we're hoping to do this through Marketo. Does anyone have any experience with this? OR, can anyone think of a workaround? Only thing I can think of is using a standard Squarespace form and have it push the data to Google Drive, and then come up with some way to get that data into Marketo (potentially manually before a monthly digest email gets sent out).

Any ideas are much appreciated. I'm new to Marketo!

Thanks,

-Joey

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Marketo has a robust embedded forms feature.  That's certainly what you should be using. Start here: http://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Forms

Joey_Taralson
Level 2

I appreciate the response. I do know how to create forms that can be embedded anywhere. But I'm asking for specific Squarespace experience to create an opt-in pop-up form. We used Code Injection under Advanced settings in SS before, but that was with custom code from MailChimp.

SanfordWhiteman

Do you want it to be "heuristically" popped up (i.e. after some random period(s) of time)? If so, this will take a little bit of custom development.  Nothing specific to Squarespace here, it's the same anywhere.  

If you want a Marketo form in a lightbox/popup that simply happens once a session, that is comparatively simple (there's a recipe for that in one of my old posts here, I'm sure) and Marketo has a built-in lightbox feature.

Joey_Taralson
Level 2

Ideally, we'd want it to be heuristically popped up. Even better if we can determine if someone has already signed up, and in that case not pop it up.

If our only option is to have a Marketo form in a lightbox pop up once per session, we'll probably scrap it and embed an opt-in form elsewhere on the site.

Thanks for your help!!

-Joey

SanfordWhiteman

You have as many options as you build!  You can have a Marketo form pop up once, twice, every 10th page, every 5m, randomly, whatever.  But Marketo isn't going to apply this logic on its own.  The Forms 2.0 API lets you add whatever timing you want, but Marketo isn't trying to do "exit detection" or any of that on its own.

Alternately, you could embed a Marketo form in OptinMonster or suchlike (not using the default OM form) to take advantage of such services' "intelligent" popup logic.  But I try to avoid this and normally build the logic myself for clients, since in most cases the "intelligence" people need is something like X popups in Y period.

For detecting if someone has already filled out a form, you would use Marketo's Known Lead HTML feature.  KL HTML can be used to suppress showing the form completely.

Joey_Taralson
Level 2

Ok - this is really helpful. Thank you so much for your time in responding to all my questions!