Re: Marketo not showing webpage activity information for leads created from WebService API source

Mkhanna0510
Level 2

Marketo not showing webpage activity information for leads created from WebService API source

Hi, 

We have observed that some leads have blank webpage activity information for the last 7 days and this is mainly for API-created leads. We have a Dev. Sign up page and our Dashboard is sending the information to Woopra and then from Woopra to Marketo. The Munchkin cookie is working fine but not able to track the issue. Also, we are in the process to implement the Segment tool to our Tech Stack and have implemented the segment code to our brand website and other pages. Not sure if the Segment code is making some impact but open to know your thoughts.

16 REPLIES 16
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Marketo not showing webpage activity information for leads created from WebService API source

(a) What do you mean by “working fine”?

(b) Which API endpoint are you using to associate Munchkin cookies with leads? Be detailed, there’s not enough here to work with yet.

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Agree with @SanfordWhiteman , we need a bit more info here. Questions that I have offhand in addition:

• Did all the leads that came in through the API actually come in via the sign up page? If they are from other sources where they did not visit the website the observation is actually correct.
  • Is it not simply the case that they did not accept cookies? Is there actually a cookie associated with these records?

It could help if you share the sign up page.

Mkhanna0510
Level 2

@Katja_Keesom @SanfordWhiteman Thank you for replying on this thread. Firstly, "working fine" means that I have checked the presence of the Munchkin code on the sign-up page. This is the sign-up page URL as requested, let me know if I can add more information here.

SanfordWhiteman

Again, what REST API endpoint(s) are you using and what data are you passing to them?

This non-Marketo page only shows us that the Munchkin cookie is being set in the browser. That doesn’t tell us what you’re doing with it on the back end.

Katja_Keesom

Again, as @SanfordWhiteman said, pease provide a bit more background and have a look at our questions. Always happy to help, but we need something to work with.

Mkhanna0510
Level 2

@Katja_Keesom @SanfordWhiteman Sorry for the late reply!!! Honestly, I am not a developer person and do not have much insight into the REST API Endpoints information or the code that you are asking. However, if you can guide me so that I can reach to the information that you are referring to, that will be great OR I can ask some specific questions to my developer team for the same. I can try to answer some of the queries here - 

• Did all the leads that came in through the API actually come in via the sign-up page? If they are from other sources where they did not visit the website the observation is actually correct. [MK] - We have this signup page(Non-Marketo) for developers to register for our product and the second API source of leads is from Drift Chatbot. So, the main issue is for the Developer Sign-up page.
  • Is it not simply the case that they did not accept cookies? Is there actually a cookie associated with these records? [MK]- Yes, cookies are associated with this process.

I can provide more information on the lead journey, 

1. Anonymous lead visits the Sign-up page and registers by filling out the form. 

2. Lead Data will be sent to the Woopra tool from our website(Nylas Dashboard)

Mkhanna0510_0-1687773395683.png

Request Method: POST

Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 2.04.24 PM.png

3. Once data is there in Woopra(Woopra is connected to Marketo via API), Woopra sends the data to Marketo.
This is some code sent to me by one of my developers, I am pretty sure this has nothing to do with Munchkin tracking or Anonymous tracking - 
{
  "output": {
    "result": [
      {
        "id": 10109912,
        "status": "updated"
      }
    ],
    "requestId": "1481c#188e926bcc2",
    "success": true
  },
  "input": {
    "firstName": "",
    "lastName": "",
    "customFields": [
      [
        "tempUTMCampaign",
        ""
      ],
      [
        "tempUTMSource",
        ""
      ],
      [
        "tempUTMMedium",
        ""
      ],
      [
        "woopraSourceIndicator",
        "Back Links"
      ],
      [
        "woopraFirstReferrerURL",
        "https://www.windowsnoticias.com/"
      ],
      [
        "city",
        "Prievidza"
      ],
      [
        "country",
        "SK"
      ],
      [
        "Woopra_Visitor_Id__c",
        ""
      ],
      [
        "Most_Recent_Device__c",
        "desktop"
      ],
      [
        "SSO_Provider__c",
        ""
      ]
    ],
    "allowUpdate": "true",
    "email": ""
  }
}

Darshil_Shah1

Are you not associating the Munchkin session with the person record on sign-up using API? You'd need to do that for the subsequent web activities of the signed-in user to get logged into Marketo since the sign-in form isn't a Marketo form. IMO Woopra is just using the Leads POST API endpoint to upsert lead data in Marketo, which won't associate the person record in Marketo with the Munchkin cookie.

Mkhanna0510
Level 2

@Darshil_Shah1 Thank you for your response, however, I am not a developer person so cannot confirm your query. However, this issue was not happening earlier and also not happening with the majority of Sign up leads. We have seen Webpage activities associated with the leads coming from Woopra.

SanfordWhiteman

As Darshil says, we do not have enough information.

Ask your developer for the exact REST API endpoint they’re contacting and for the full JSON payload they’re sending. In this example they’ve combined input and output from their custom app. This isn’t useful, as we have no idea what their code is like. If they supply the raw JSON data they’re sending, and where they’re sending, we can potentially help.

(Not sure I understand why they aren’t troubleshooting this themselves, to be frank. It should be pretty clear whether they’re sending the cookie or not. If they’re sending it — which only works with the Submit Form or Associate Lead API endpoints — they would know.)