Marketo links not getting rendered correctly in outlook

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo links not getting rendered correctly in outlook

I have been having a broken link issue lately with hyperlinks in emails I received through Marketo.

I get a 404 error. I looked for a fix and found out this problem occurs when my default browser is not IE.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

11 REPLIES 11
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Marketo links not getting rendered correctly in outlook

Do you have screenshots or link examples?

Is this happening from a Program Token?

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

To follow up on Josh Hill​'s questions, do your URLs have any spaces (or %20's) in them?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, no issues with URLs. The links work just fine if I change the default browser to IE.

And they are not tokenized either.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You'll have to post a sample URL, obviously.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

Attaching Error screen shot

Chrome as default browser.

Checked in IE. It works just fine.404.JPG

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I don't have a problem in Chrome 45 nor Firefox 42.

Do you actually have a problem when you copy-paste that link into your browser?  Can you please send a sample email with that link to sandy@figureone.com?

The 404 error "The redirect url is empty" is generated if you go to the bare URL http://mkto-sj070048.com/ (no personalized tracking path).   That suggests that for some reason Chrome is seeing no path in the URL.  I wonder if you somehow have a zero-length space in there or something.

P.S. I wouldn't call that link "not tokenized".  I know what you mean, that it doesn't have {{tokens}}, but tokenization means a special thing when it comes to links (the mktNoTok class and the _mkt_tok query param).

My_Davidson
Level 2

I've experiencing the same problem.

Here is the original link:

http://www.medicareinteractive.org/uploadedDocuments/mi_extra/SEP-Chart.pdf

Here is the same link with Marketo token code at the end (added by the Marketo system). It breaks!

http://www.medicareinteractive.org/uploadedDocuments/mi_extra/SEP-Chart.pdf?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRom...

Why is this?

Thank you.

--My

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

This is a server-side issue.  Your server is trying to use the querystring which marketo appends for lead tracking for navigation.  Since there's nothing matching the string the server fails to find anything and serves up the 404.  There are two things which you can do:

As a temporary solution, you can add the mktNoTok class to your links.  This will stop marketo from appending the tracking string.  This shouldn't be a permanent fix, as the tracking info is what links your anonymous leads to their known records when they click through from a marketo email.

As a permanent solution, talk to your IT or Web Team(whoever owns the site) and have them whitelist the mkt_tok query parameter so that the server knows not to try to match it for navigation.