SOLVED

Re: Marketo Landing Page display the content from the Smartlist

Go to solution
Bazil
Level 1

Marketo Landing Page display the content from the Smartlist

I need create a Marketo Landing which the page content is come from the Smartlist.

A table include below information

First Name

Last Name

Company

Email Address

Registration Date

Since the Smart list will real-time updated, we can have the page content real-time updates as well.

May I ask if this is possible ?

Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Since the Smart list will real-time updated, we can have the page content real-time updates as well.

No, it’s not!

Marketo LPs display data for a single person. They are also not secure (though an unguessable, unindexed URL has a basic amount of security).

If you wanted to simulate something like this, you could add and remove people from a Google Sheet using a Marketo webhook, then display that Sheet data on an LP using the Sheets API.

Or, of course, use the Marketo REST API to populate a Sheet with Smart List members (or any populate other database).

View solution in original post

SanfordWhiteman

We will have a virtual event , and during the tour we designed a game, and for whom complete , we will ask them to fill a Marketo form then redirect them to a landing page with ranking (include Name, time spending .etc), also we will have a page for internal usage for Stakeholders which include more details (like email address, company , register date .etc ).

OK, good to know more details of the plan.

You won’t be able to get this functionality without being/having a developer. It is not terrifically difficult but it is not out of the box.

It sounds to me like there’s no need to think about displaying a “Smart List” here. In Marketo, it should be a Program with statuses and program member custom fields (PMCFs).

Program members are also more straightforward to download via the Marketo REST API than Smart List members, if you should choose that route. (Program members can be downloaded directly from the members.json endpoint, while Smart List members require a 4-step Bulk Extract, which is more complex to code and more time-consuming.)

You can also consider about my suggestion of flushing the Program Members to a Google Sheet using a webhook, then fetching the Sheet rows into the page using the Sheets API. Overall, I would say that’s a simpler setup. Not simple as it still requires a developer with related expertise, but has fewer parts.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SanfordWhiteman

No, it’s not!

Marketo LPs display data for a single person. They are also not secure (though an unguessable, unindexed URL has a basic amount of security).

If you wanted to simulate something like this, you could add and remove people from a Google Sheet using a Marketo webhook, then display that Sheet data on an LP using the Sheets API.

Or, of course, use the Marketo REST API to populate a Sheet with Smart List members (or any populate other database).

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Just don't do this directly in your front end code (I know it is implicit in @SanfordWhiteman's statement about populating some form of data storage), as you'll be exposing your API credentials.

SanfordWhiteman

Thankfully, the REST API can’t even be accessed directly from the browser due to CORS restrictions.

But yes, under no circumstances should you even attempt to use it directly, nor via a proxy. It’s for server-to-server communication with tight rate limits.

It would be good to know the actual use case here as there may be an XY Problem (i.e. why does it need to be a Smart List as opposed to a Program?).

Jo_Pitts1

The idea of having a campaign that called a webhook to add the people to a DB is an interesting one.

I quite like that approach.

SanfordWhiteman

Me too, but this is why the real business case needs to be spelled out. You can’t trigger directly on someone qualifying for a Smart List (as you know), while you can trigger on them entering or leaving a Static List or Program.

Darshil_Shah1

I'm interested in knowing the actual business case as well! We don't often hear such requests, and moreover SLs are meant more for the internal system usage, i.e., driving the Marketo programming, SCs, etc.

Also, there could be quite a large # people of qualifying for the SL (can't deny the possibility at the very least), and displaying them in a tabular format in the LP may not be very user friendly/intuitive, we could possibly display few records on the LP and then add in a URL to the spreadsheet where all the records are present, but again interested to hear the business case behind this first.

I'm also not very sure if it'd be a good idea to display the PII on a public LP. Conversely, if this is for an internal LP, you can directly link the Marketo SL for the people with the Marketo access and add the SL subscription to send the smart list report daily to the non-Marketo users, that'd be much simpler. Alternatively, there's the webhook approach to update the data to a DB and have the LP query from there too.  🙂

P.S. - I too had a hint of this being a possible XY problem when I first read this post.

Bazil
Level 1

Thank you for your comments.

Here is our logic for this part.

We will have a virtual event , and during the tour we designed a game, and for whom complete , we will ask them to fill a Marketo form then redirect them to a landing page with ranking (include Name, time spending .etc), also we will have a page for internal usage for Stakeholders which include more details (like email address, company , register date .etc ).

Thank you

SanfordWhiteman

OK, good to know more details of the plan.

You won’t be able to get this functionality without being/having a developer. It is not terrifically difficult but it is not out of the box.

It sounds to me like there’s no need to think about displaying a “Smart List” here. In Marketo, it should be a Program with statuses and program member custom fields (PMCFs).

Program members are also more straightforward to download via the Marketo REST API than Smart List members, if you should choose that route. (Program members can be downloaded directly from the members.json endpoint, while Smart List members require a 4-step Bulk Extract, which is more complex to code and more time-consuming.)

You can also consider about my suggestion of flushing the Program Members to a Google Sheet using a webhook, then fetching the Sheet rows into the page using the Sheets API. Overall, I would say that’s a simpler setup. Not simple as it still requires a developer with related expertise, but has fewer parts.