SOLVED

Marketo CDL Sync with ON24

Go to solution
Touseef
Level 2

Marketo CDL Sync with ON24

Hi All,

I have 2 ON24 events which I need to sync with one Marketo Event program. Please suggest how does CDL (Common data layer) works here.

Touseef
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Marketo CDL Sync with ON24

Created 2 ON24 sessions and now these 2 need to be synched with marketo. As 2 ON24 events cant be synched with one Marketo event so we use webhook. My question is about this webhook. I mean what all need to be consider for creating this webhook and how leads flow from Marketo to ON24 and back to Marketo.

That's an incredibly broad question and an answer here can't do it justice.

First, a webhook definition (in Marketo Admin) doesn't do anything itself. It lets you format data to be sent from Marketo to an external service based on trigger campaigns. The webhook is the outbound request — the sending of data and processing of responses — not the external service. Although people do use the terms interchangeably, this can be confusing because it implies that merely setting something up in Admin gives you somewhere to send stuff. It doesn’t. You need to define your needs, and either code+host your own service or pay for an existing service that fits your needs.

Webhooks run in the context of existing leads in Marketo. Thus by definition the webhook to cannot create the lead, although this is OK in your case because creation/registration will start in Marketo and then be pushed to ON24.

Your service will use Seamless Registration or REST Registration (the latter is more professional IMO) and Get Attendees.

Note if your solution is solely webhook-powered, with no external scheduler, you’ll want to cache the Get Attendees result because it makes no sense to re-get the same data over and over in the batch-to-trigger Smart Campaign which you run just after the webinar.

Be prepared to write bulletproof code as you don’t want to deal with people complaining that ON24 metrics are different from Marketo reports. It’s vital that custom integrations keep pace with built-in integrations or you’re just going backward.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman

Touseef, this question has the same problem as your other thread (https://nation.marketo.com/t5/product-discussions/marketo-aws-api-setup/m-p/332559#M187897) which is awaiting an update from you. That is, there are technical buzzwords but they don't seem relevant to the question. (Or it's hard to know what the question is!)

As mentioned over there, you need to explain your goals in business terms and not leap to technical terminology.

CDL is an enterprise data concept. (With one exception of a Cisco product by that name, but I doubt that's what you mean.) It doesn't directly relate to Marketo but can be used by enterprises that use Marketo.

Why are you contemplating CDL at this time? What vendors are you considering in the CDL space? What other centralized data management/integration platforms do you use, and what other kinds of siloed data are you trying to bring together? Please provide full details about your setup/goals so someone can help.

Touseef
Level 2

Hi,

Apologising for not being able to put in correct words. I actually have requirement where I have multi session event and audience is supposed to attend both the sessions. Created 2 ON24 sessions and now these 2 need to be synched with marketo. As 2 ON24 events cant be synched with one Marketo event so we use webhook. My question is about this webhook. I mean what all need to be consider for creating this webhook and how leads flow from Marketo to ON24 and back to Marketo.

Touseef
SanfordWhiteman

Created 2 ON24 sessions and now these 2 need to be synched with marketo. As 2 ON24 events cant be synched with one Marketo event so we use webhook. My question is about this webhook. I mean what all need to be consider for creating this webhook and how leads flow from Marketo to ON24 and back to Marketo.

That's an incredibly broad question and an answer here can't do it justice.

First, a webhook definition (in Marketo Admin) doesn't do anything itself. It lets you format data to be sent from Marketo to an external service based on trigger campaigns. The webhook is the outbound request — the sending of data and processing of responses — not the external service. Although people do use the terms interchangeably, this can be confusing because it implies that merely setting something up in Admin gives you somewhere to send stuff. It doesn’t. You need to define your needs, and either code+host your own service or pay for an existing service that fits your needs.

Webhooks run in the context of existing leads in Marketo. Thus by definition the webhook to cannot create the lead, although this is OK in your case because creation/registration will start in Marketo and then be pushed to ON24.

Your service will use Seamless Registration or REST Registration (the latter is more professional IMO) and Get Attendees.

Note if your solution is solely webhook-powered, with no external scheduler, you’ll want to cache the Get Attendees result because it makes no sense to re-get the same data over and over in the batch-to-trigger Smart Campaign which you run just after the webinar.

Be prepared to write bulletproof code as you don’t want to deal with people complaining that ON24 metrics are different from Marketo reports. It’s vital that custom integrations keep pace with built-in integrations or you’re just going backward.