Marketing Operations vs. Digital Marketing Career?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketing Operations vs. Digital Marketing Career?

Hi Community,

I am currently a Sr. Marketing Ops Manager at a cyber security startup company. I am looking into long-term career paths and would love to hear from your experience(s) what the benefits and drawbacks of each career path are. Also, for startups, do you find that Marketing Ops and Digital Marketing are usually combined?

Many thanks!
Anne

5 REPLIES 5
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Marketing Operations vs. Digital Marketing Career?

Anne,

I like Marketing Operations because it is always evolving. Because of this, it forces yourself to adjust your skill-sets and remain marketable in the job market. It is a very specific and marketable skill and much more specific than a generalized digital marketing role which could include web marketing, SEO, and SEM. It really depends on which area you feel the most comfortable pursuing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Devraj. I am also leaning towards becoming highly experienced and an expert in a role rather than knowing a little bit about everything, thank you for your take on this.

Brittany_Stover
Level 5 - Champion Alumni

I am transitioning into more of a digital operations analyst position so this thread is intriguing. From my perspective, I am leaving more of the day to day grind work and can use the digital marketing reports to gain more high-level strategic decisions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Brittany,

Thank you so much for your reply! I am very passionate about analytics and creating actionable recommendations from data analysis. This is why I also looked into possibly moving towards a marketing analytics role, but this often seems to require a masters degree in analytics. How were you able to make a transition like yours happen?

Thanks,

Anne

Brittany_Stover
Level 5 - Champion Alumni

Experience and results in many cases, including my own trumps a master's degree every time. I started working in the digital space and then made my way up based on work ethic and actionable results. It also doesn't hurt if you can become the SME for all things digital because it's a natural progression upward.