Re: Malformed Links

Chris_Morris1
Level 4

Malformed Links

I'm looking for information on malformed links. I was comparing two emails via the link performance report. The emails were identical, the audiences were different. In one email, the link in question reports normally, in the other, the link reports as a malformed link. 

These are standard HTML links with UTM codes; no tokens, scripting, or other variables. Any ideas? 

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Please show the actual links, can’t do much without that.

Are you sure you don’t have extra whitespace in the href?

Chris_Morris1
Level 4

Thanks!

<a target="_blank" href="https://www.takechargeamerica.org/housing-help/?utm_source=newsletter&amp;utm_medium=email&amp;utm_campaign=01_22" style="-webkit-text-size-adjust:none;-ms-text-size-adjust:none;mso-line-height-rule:exactly;text-decoration:none;color:#43B7D7;font-size:16px">

Above link from reports as malformed.

<a target="_blank" href="https://www.takechargeamerica.org/housing-help/?utm_source=newsletter&amp;utm_medium=email&amp;utm_campaign=01_22" style="-webkit-text-size-adjust:none;-ms-text-size-adjust:none;mso-line-height-rule:exactly;text-decoration:none;color:#43B7D7;font-size:16px">

Link above reports as expected. 

SanfordWhiteman

Yikes. Those are exactly the same.

But I forgot to ask — what makes you think it’s this link that’s malformed exactly? Doesn’t Marketo not display the link for the “Malformed link” category, IIRC?

Chris_Morris1
Level 4

Both of those exist in the separate email templates, but only one of the email performance reports list that link. The other email performance reoprt lists all of the other links, but not this one. 

So either the link received zero clicks and is not appearing on the report for that reason, or it's malformed for some reason. The malformed version is to the most engaged members of our database, they typically interact with our info and I doubt this link, which was featured in it's own section, received absolutely zero engagement. So yeah. 

Any guidance or thoughts I can use to explain this scenario to those who are interested? 

SanfordWhiteman

Have you changed the email content at all since this send (I hope not) and if not, can you send me the one with the malformed link?