Inauthentic form submissions from "known" visitors?

RebekahHodge
Level 2

Inauthentic form submissions from "known" visitors?

I don't know if this is really a threat but I wondered if it's a possibility before I get too excited about my campaign results. I employed this form pre-fill tactic on one of my forms on my site: https://blog.teknkl.com/pre-fill-any-site-any-form/ 

It seems to work beautifully. 

I executed an email campaign today that drove people to that site. I noticed our conversion rate from the email web page visits to form completions is over 60%, which is *really* good for us, so I was excited to report it. But while thumbing through the form submissions,  I did notice 2 people from the same company who seemingly filled in the form at the exact same time under the exact same IP address. It made me wonder if it could be a bot form submission? Has anyone else ever seen that? I know bot clicks in emails is super common for us, to the extent that I don't even like to look at click rates in emails anymore, and Marketo support told me to rely on "visited web page" to track email clicks instead, but I can definitely see there's some fishy web page visits that look like probably email server clicks too. But for a form submission, I didn't think bot clicks would really exist, but now I'm not so sure. Is it a threat or is that a fluke? Is there a way for me to tell for sure? Has anyone had any experience with this? 

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Inauthentic form submissions from "known" visitors?

Two people from the same company from the same IP isn’t that weird if they’re behind the same VPN or (strange as it may seem these days) in the same office.

In the same exact second, though? Unlikely. But do you have some code that’s auto-submitting the form for known visitors? That would sure cause it.

RebekahHodge
Level 2

I can't see the second, but I can see it's submitted the same minute. It seems sketch to me. I don't believe there is any code auto submitting. The form is hidden for known visitors though, but they're still supposed to click the button "Register" in order for the registration to take place. I've just seen so much bot activity lately, I'm very skeptical. 

SanfordWhiteman

It’s extremely unlikely (I would put it at 0%) that a mail scanner is submitting your form. That would wreak absolute havoc on, well, everything.

Can you point me to the page w/form, please?

RebekahHodge
Level 2

Sure, thanks. I agree it seems wild cause why wouldn't it click on any other link on the page, just my form, but I had to ask. The form in question is here: https://www.burfordcapital.com/media-room/media-room-container/brad-hildebrandt-extending-law-firm-g...

SanfordWhiteman

How do you know that/if these are Known Visitor HTML submissions (i.e. people who clicked the KV HTML button)?

RebekahHodge
Level 2

I guess I'm making that assumption because the submissions are coming from the email I sent out of Marketo (I'm able to see that in the querystring).

SanfordWhiteman

That’s a pretty good proof! But it doesn’t completely mean the person (or machine) saw the KV HTML form.

You can only know that if you add a specific hidden field in KV HTML mode only or, the reverse, if there are hidden fields in Form Editor those will only post in standard mode.