Re: Mailing SFDC contacts from Marketo?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mailing SFDC contacts from Marketo?

I want to run a monthly mailout to channel partners from Marketo and score them using behavioural scoring in Marketo. The thing is they are contacts in SFDC, not leads. Is it possible to import certain contacts from SFDC using a 'sync to Marketo' field in the contacts database in SFDC? If not how have other people got round this? I'm sure I'm not the first person who has wanted to do this.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Aslihan_Ayan_Ha
Level 7

Is your Marketo Synch user in SFDC have the rights to see these contacts? Is there a field that indicates these are channel partners?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo treats both Contacts and Leads as one. If your integration was setup via the standard instructions you should have clear visibility to this segment. Copy and past an email address into the Marketo Lead Database and search to see if it shows.

If it does, you're all set, just figure out how to separate them from your other email addresses.

If it does not, you can export out of SFDC and import into Marketo to a static list. Marketo will auto dedupe based on email address and you have a set list of emails to continue to mail.

Aslihan_Ayan_Ha
Level 7

Hi Tim, I am curious what is your POV on if the contacts exist in SFDC already, what will be the business reason to export from SFDC and import to Marketo? Time to execution since opening the Marketo Synch user might require internal resources?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Business reason was that if you cannot differentiate partners vs the rest inside SFDC, you can do so via exporting the list out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah - I didn't know there was a 'sync to marketo' field in contacts. If I get our SFDC admin to add the field to the Marketo section on the contacts page in SFDC and tick the box, I guess that contact will sync to Marketo, right?

Then I guess I just have to exclude anyone of SFDC type = Contact from any lead related programs?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like things are being over complicated with your integration. Is it true that NO contact exists within your Marketo instance already?

Before doing any of the mentioned tasks you stated, I'd check to ensure your contacts are not already in Marketo...

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, they're not. Its an old instance of SFDC with many 10s of thousands of contacts so I wouldn't want them in there by default. I only want partner contacts. Previously I only wanted leads.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds best to look into changing the integration users permissions to view contacts and add in rules to only view Partner contacts. You can build out an infrastructure around this via custom fields or lead owners or sfdc hierarchy.

Until then, I'd divert to the exporting your partner list of contacts out of SFDC and Into Marketo, but this is only a short term solution.