Can Marketo send a salesforce email

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can Marketo send a salesforce email

Hello, can I select a step in Flow to send a SFDC email, or does the email need to be in Marketo as an asset to send?

Each time we sync new leads through Marketo into SFDC, an automatic email is being sent. We can find the offending email in SFDC, but Web-to-Lead is not turned on. SFDC Support is saying the problem is with Marketo, but I can't find a campaign that points to that SFDC email.

9 REPLIES 9
Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

Re: Can Marketo send a salesforce email

Hmm... To me, this sounds like a workflow in SFDC. To my knowledge, emails located within SFDC can't be sent by Marketo, but maybe someone else can clarify. Only other thing I can think of is that Marketo is creating a task in SFDC and the assigned task owner is receiving the alert.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is what I was thinking too, but SFDC is saying that's not the case. The actual lead is receiving the email; it's an external email sent. It's not an alert to the task owner. At least that could be contained internally. We keep messaging these new leads with an outside message. It's awful.

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

And there aren't any campaigns with a trigger of "Lead is Created"?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No. I just tripled checked. Good thought, though.

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

That all sounds bizarre to me, and unless something is set up in Marketo to "Send Email" upon lead creation, there's nothing else I can think of where this could happen outside of SFDC.

Does the email have to exist? What happens if you delete it? Either Marketo or SFDC will surely throw an error and maybe you can diagnose it from there?

Anonymous
Not applicable

SFDC won't let us delete the email. It's got to be an issue with SFDC and I'll have to have them reopen the case, I guess?

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

Yikes. Yeah, I would re-open the case, but open a case with Marketo, as well. Support's really responsive and they'll point you in the right direction. I'm not sure what's going on here, but my colleagues and I have experienced one or two cases with SFDC where they claim the issue is with a third party and it's not.

Keep us updated! I'm curious to hear what's going on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We deleted the template the email was pointing to, then made the unchecked the box "Available for Use" in the email itself. Ran a second test, and it didn't send the email. We are logging a bug ticket with Salesforce, reporting the issue. Web-to-lead is not enabled, but SFDC was recognizing new leads from Marketo as new web leads, for some reason.

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

Thanks for the update! Very strange - never seen that happen before, but hopefully they get it figured out for you