Re: Lookup List Functionality

Hank_Hansen
Level 5

Lookup List Functionality

I'm looking for a solution that would enable logic such as: if email address = x, then... We currently allow duplicate email addresses and we need a way to manage scenarios related to that. Custom objects might allow us to change our whole model so we can dedupe by email but that will be down the road a bit. I've been told this isn't possible and I'm just surprised this is the case. Any insight/experience related to this would be appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Hank,

The trouble with this is that it's not possible in Marketo to use the information from one lead record to find or change another.  So while you could create a smart list that says Email Address is X, you couldn't automatically get the value of X from a record and have the smart list/campaign find all of the matching records.  All smart lists/campaigns can only affect changes as individual records.

John

Hank_Hansen
Level 5

OK - well that's frustrating! Thanks John.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Hank, this is straightforward if you create a webhook endpoint -- one of the primary ways we use 'hooks is to loop back from one lead to another.  Although webhooks are more expressly designed to enhance lead info or post lead info to third-party systems (for fulfillment, say) there's no requirement that all their work be done on the current lead.  What exactly are the action(s) you want to take on the dupes?

Hank_Hansen
Level 5

Thanks Sanford - I don't know anything about those yet so I will have to dig in if they might offer a solution. The actions on the dupes would be removing them from campaign flows and changing some field values.

Hank_Hansen
Level 5

Are there any docs or articles that talk about the type of webhook usage you mentioned? I'm just finding content about third-party system applications.