Looking for Guidance: People being re-synced to Marketo from SalesForce

Patrick_Vesely
Level 2

Looking for Guidance: People being re-synced to Marketo from SalesForce

In our sync set up between Marketo & SalesForce, we have a Marketo Sync checkbox that gets checked as True when a Person is created in Marketo.

I am in the process of cleaning out our Marketo Database - removing people who we are no longer marketing too (they either have unsubscribed, hard bounced, current customer, etc).  I am creating smart lists around the criteria and running the list through a smart campaign that will mark the "Marketo Sync" field as false, wait 5 minutes and then remove them from Marketo (but keep them in SalesForce).

Once these people are removed, I would think that we are good.  Something in SalesForce is updating these records, which is updating the "Marketo Sync" field to True.  This is re-syncing the person - adding them to Marketo programs, which include our MQL program - which passes them to the BDR team (even though they did not take any action).  I can see in the activity log that the person was created with a source type "SalesForce.com".

I have spoken with Marketo support and they have said that this is a SalesForce issue (but our SalesForce team claims it is a Marketo set up issue).  

Questions from the Marketo end:

- Has anyone experienced this before?  Any suggestions on solutions as the BDR team is getting frustrated with Marketo.

- When I remove them from Marketo, is there something else that I should mark on the Person's record?

- Is there a program that could catch all these "Zombie Leads" prior to them running through all the programs?

thank you in advance

Patrick Vesely
1 REPLY 1
Michael_Florin
Level 9

Re: Looking for Guidance: People being re-synced to Marketo from SalesForce

@Patrick_Vesely wrote:

Something in SalesForce is updating these records, which is updating the "Marketo Sync" field to True. 

I'd certainly take a look at that. This doesn't happen in our environment, so I assume there is an active Salesforce workflow rule that does this. If your business rules state that all Salesforce records should be synced to Marketo - which I think is reasonable - then this workflow makes sense.

Real zombies - as in unengaged, hard bounced and so on leads - should probably removed from Salesforce as well.