Re: Long load times for emails in Outlook

chloerobbins
Level 1

Long load times for emails in Outlook

Our emails are taking 25+ seconds to load in Outlook. This seems to only be an issue in Outlook on PCs. I have asked around and heard its an email server issue rather than a Marketo issue. Curious to know if anyone else has run into this issue, and if you have found any solutions?? 

Thanks! 

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Our emails are taking 25+ seconds to load in Outlook. This seems to only be an issue in Outlook on PCs. I have asked around and heard its an email server issue rather than a Marketo issue. Curious to know if anyone else has run into this issue, and if you have found any solutions??

Are you seeing this in your own Outlook/Exchange environment, or when you set up/view Outlook on an external machine? Where are the reports coming from?

Broadly speaking Marketo cannot slow down retrieval of emails. This would indeed be something happening on the Exchange server (or other mailbox server, i.e. IMAP). A very large image, if images are enabled, could cause slowdowns, but not 25 seconds.

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

This is not new, and we've seen latencies on the outlook too - IMO, this has to do more with how Outlook operates in general than the email itself, also there may be add-ins/org level policies, filters, etc. added on the outlook causing an increase in the email load time. At times, when a single outlook application has multiple accounts configured the performance is further degraded. Are your digital assets (images, etc.) stored in Marketo's DS or are they fetched from somewhere else?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

general than the email itself, also there may be add-ins/org level policies, filters, etc. added on the outlook causing the increasing the email load time.

With outrageously long message retrieval, it’s almost certainly something happening on the Exchange server during retrieval (i.e. scanning on demand) then on the Outlook client itself. Although a badly malfunctioning client add-in can make Outlook itself unusable.