SOLVED

Re: List Cleanout

Go to solution
Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Hey Chris -

To avoid being black listed due to sending emails to hard bounces, you can set Email Invalid to True. That way you won't be able to send them emails - at least not from Marketo. Here is some information on Munchkin:

Munchkin - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation

Denise

Christian_Tovar
Level 3

Thank you for that info, Denise. Is this what you're referencing for setting email invalid to true?

Snip20181011_9.png

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Hi Christian (apologies for calling you Chris - I think it's because I saw the response from Chris) -

No. First of all - that's a trigger that is listening for Marketing Suspending gets changed to True. It's not setting anything. Secondly that's the Marketing Suspended field (which also prevents Marketo from emailing the person if set to True - unless it's an operational email). I was talking about the field called "Email Invalid" - and changing it to True would be in the Flow and would look like this:

pastedImage_0.png

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I'm not sure my organization is using [Munchkin].

If you're not, you should be.

As the others have explained, Munchkin is Marketo's web analytics feature, which tracks Clicks Link on Web Page and Visits Web Page activities. If you see those activities in leads' Activity Logs, you're using Munchkin. And since web engagement can continue long after an email address can't be emailed anymore, you must consider this factor before deciding a lead is dormant. You could even have an ongoing SMS relationship with someone after their email address is dead. That's not a lead that should be deleted!

Christian_Tovar
Level 3

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense now. I'll have to do some digging for this setup.

Hi,

Interesting discussion and example of management. I'm working on some clean up management at the moment, too.

Do you really delete all bounced emails?

If you're on a shared IP and another Marketo customer sends some bad mailings and the IP gets a bad reputation, you will also remove all emails which will be bounced because of Hard Bounce/Spam blocking?

I like your automated management/flow, but I would add a constrain to trigger "bounce email" and add  "category 2". All other bounces I would keep in database and review before deleting.

• Hard Bounces
    • Category 1 – spam block (Email Suspended=true (for 24 hours))
    • Category 2 – email invalid (Email Invalid=true)
  • Soft Bounces
    • Category 3 – Soft Bounce (Mailbox Full, Timeout, Soft Bounce, Generic Bounce)
    • Category 4 – Technical Soft Bounce (Transient Failure, Admin Failure, DNS Failure, Too Large)
    • Category 9 – Unknown (Undetermined)

Best Johanna