When looking through reporting we are seeing Marketo counting link clicks for links that are not present in the emails covered in the reports. The newest case is for a link that has not even been sent in an email before. Does anyone else have this issue, know why the problem is happening, and have a fix to solve it?
Hi Mathew - we had a similar challenge with our email reports and we also noticed it coincided with an error where there were more clicks than opens. After discussing it with Marketo support, they informed us that with some spam softwares at companies - they will create fake clicks that inflate/misrepresent what's happening in our email engagement reports and smart lists. We're working on a workaround to create "honeypot" links that will detect these software tools and help us weed out any "fake clicks" in our reports. I don't have a solution yet....Let me know what else you find!
I have already solved for that previously. The issue above covers leads that have opened the emails in question. By setting that filter this removes the spam software fake clicks. The issue here is more that the report is showing clicks for URLs that are literally not located anywhere on the email. For example, reports show a quiz link being clicked for an email that in no way talks about the quiz or has any links that lead to the quiz.
Thank you for your response, though.
Mathew, the Q should be moved to Products ("Central" is for non-product-specific marketing topics).
I've never experienced this problem but if you have scoured the template and email for the links and see nothing (remember to check tokens), open a ticket with Support.
We are currently experiencing this issue. Do you mind telling me how you solved this please?
You're seeing on clicks on links that aren't present at all in the email? That would quite... sinister... if true. Let's dive deeper into the HTML and confirm that. You can send one of the emails to email@example.com and I'll send you back a list of all the clickable links (including those that aren't visible).
Sent you an email let me know what you find. Thanks!
I still have not been able to comfortably solve this. We did complete reworks on some templates/assets, but that did not seem to help. Instead, I have had to basically build around the problem by finding commonality for the fake links, and then building logic to suppress scoring on these actions...
And what was the commonality?
This is a very strange report, I must say... if it turns out to be affecting everyone we need to escalate it.
Likely differs per instance, but for me the majority of the fake links had a ".html" in them. For the links that were not that .html, I just looked for the similar emails that carried the issue and cut out the links. Since the outage, though, things have shifted in a negative way where not only are fake clicks landing on links that are not available in the emails (present no where, not even in html), but now I am getting multiple fake clicks on links in the email across all links inflating scores way up, and sending garbage to sales... again, have had to build logic around these to prevent this from happening as much as possible.