SOLVED

leadCapture/save in Ajax get FAIL status

Go to solution
JustinWen
Level 1

leadCapture/save in Ajax get FAIL status

Hi,

I need to send lead from sever to sever, here is the code when the form is submitted:

let data= {
'munchkinId': 'xxx-xxx-xxx',
'formid': xxx,
'Email': 'xxxx@xxx.com'

}
$.ajax({
type: 'POST',
url: '//xxx.oursite.com/index.php/leadCapture/save',
data: data,
success: function (data) {
   console.log('run callback here');
},
error: function (xhr, error) {
console.log(xhr, error);
}
});
by doing this, I can send this lead to Marketo but I get failed status. since I need a callback when lead is sent, does anyone know how to fix this?
Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 5.54.36 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: leadCapture/save in Ajax get FAIL status

The forms endpoint isn't to be used directly. Use the Forms API to submit a background form as noted here: https://developers.marketo.com/blog/make-a-marketo-form-submission-in-the-background-3/

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
SanfordWhiteman

An Ajax POST isn't "server to server." Please explain in detail what you're sending and where the form lives.

JustinWen
Level 1

Sorry for the confusion. it is not server to sever. Basically, when the user submits a form I will send a lead to markto by using this code:
HTML:
<form>
<input type="button" class="js-lead-capture" value="Submit">
</form>

JS:
$('.js-lead-capture').click(function (e) {
e.preventDefault();
const data = {
'LeadSource': $.cookie('XYZutm_source'),
'Phone': '888-888-8888',
'Person Source': 'test',
}

$.ajax({
type: 'POST',

url: '//mysite.com/index.php/leadCapture/save',
data: data,
success: function (data) {
 //do something else here:
    console.log('data sent');
},
error: function (xhr, error) {
   console.log(xhr, error);
}
});
})

when running this test, I can see the lead is added into markto but return a 'failed' status response (as I sent that screenshot) so that my success function does not get through.

thanks,

JustinWen
Level 1

const data = {
'formid':'xxxx', // (formid is included)
'LeadSource': $.cookie('XYZutm_source'),
'Phone': '888-888-8888',
'Person Source': 'test',
}
SanfordWhiteman

The forms endpoint isn't to be used directly. Use the Forms API to submit a background form as noted here: https://developers.marketo.com/blog/make-a-marketo-form-submission-in-the-background-3/

JustinWen
Level 1

Thanks SanfordWhiteman,

I saw that solution, the idea works for me. But we do not want to render Markto form(even it is hidden) and load Markto script on the front side.

I also tried the REST API(https://github.com/Marketo/REST-Sample-Code/blob/master/php/LeadDatabase/Leads/PushLeadToMarketo.php...but this need to be posted by 'program name', I need the one can be posted by Form ID.

sorry for my special case. Any other solutions that I can post by form ID in the background directly?

thanks so much!

SanfordWhiteman

The REST API must never, ever be used directly from the client (browser). This should be clear from the inclusion of instance-wide client ID and secret. Using that information in the browser creates a catastrophic security vulnerability.

The only way to post from the browser directly to Marketo is using the Forms JS API. You don't actually have to include the <form> element itself. But you must use the JS library.

Note in past years there were other methods that one could use from the browser. Those are all deprecated and slated for removal.

JustinWen
Level 1

I just saw this post: https://nation.marketo.com/t5/Product-Discussions/Form-submission-using-POST-menthod/td-p/40834/page...

now I changed save to save2 and added formVid, my ajax returns the response status correctly!

thanks for your help!

SanfordWhiteman

Your problem isn't solved this way. All direct access (not via the JS API) is deprecated and is being removed next year... that's why I said there were alternatives in "past years."

The answer remains the Forms JS API. Any other method will stop working in 2021 - that's been guaranteed by the engineering team.
JustinWen
Level 1

Wow, that is bad. I am using JS API on our website,  but this time we do not want to load JS or render Marto form HTML if this is possible. So we are looking for any solution if we can achieve this. This should be my last question:

Is any solution if changing to serverside? I used REST API from the server but it needs to be posted by program name(https://github.com/Marketo/REST-Sample-Code/blob/master/php/LeadDatabase/Leads/PushLeadToMarketo.php...

Can I post by form ID?

if not,  my last option: How to use JS API but exclude the <form> element itself. (you said I do not have to include it. )?