SOLVED

Re: Lead Scoring way depending on products.

Go to solution
Ken_Aizawa
Level 4 - Community Advisor

Lead Scoring way depending on products.

Hello,

I'm managing Marketo with using a simple management way of adding behavior score now.

For ex, adding 10 point when a user visits our web page, and other case adding 100 points when a user watch our webinar.

And now, if possible, I want to manage the adding score more complex way depending on the products as below:

ex1.

Visit web page of Product A -> Adding 5 points

Visit web page of Product B -> Adding 10 points, because we need to focus on product B more than Product A

ex2.

Attend a webinar of Product A -> Adding 50 points

Attend a webinar of Product B -> Adding 100 points, because we need to focus on product B more than Product A

But now, I am using a program status change's trigger of smart campaign to add a behavior score, so it is difficult to know the product of the customer's behavior.

Can I have a standard way to do this kind of scoring control depending on the kind of product?

Thank you

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Off the top of my head, I can think of the following scoring setup updates depending on the interaction type you're scoring people for - 

1. For scoring the visit webpage interactions, you can use the Visits Webpage trigger with product page URLs/part of the URL in the SL, and in the flow, update the scoring fields with the correct score value. This would mean you'd have to move away from using the program status values in the campaign SL as creating separate program statuses for each interaction type + product combo in every marketing channel is IMO not a very scalable approach. It'd be best if you set up separate scoring campaigns for each product type as you cannot reference just the last visit webpage activity to score a person correctly based on their most recent webpage visit in the flow (Visited Web Page condition in the choice step would look at all the Visit Webpage activities present in the activity log of the person and not just the last visit webpage activity).

2. For scoring the event interactions (registered/attended/attended on-demand/etc.) - I'd suggest you keep using the program status values but filter people based on the program name constraint along with the program status values in the "Program Status is Changed" trigger (I'm assuming that you'd have separate events and programs for driving engagements for each product type and your naming convention includes the product type in the program name). Again, it'd be best if you set up separate operational campaigns for each product type.

Alternatively, if you have a field that you're updating with the most recent product type value that the person has interacted with, then you can use that field as a filter in SL/as a choice step condition in scoring campaigns' flow to accurately score people based on the product type they've interacted with.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Darshil_Shah1

Off the top of my head, I can think of the following scoring setup updates depending on the interaction type you're scoring people for - 

1. For scoring the visit webpage interactions, you can use the Visits Webpage trigger with product page URLs/part of the URL in the SL, and in the flow, update the scoring fields with the correct score value. This would mean you'd have to move away from using the program status values in the campaign SL as creating separate program statuses for each interaction type + product combo in every marketing channel is IMO not a very scalable approach. It'd be best if you set up separate scoring campaigns for each product type as you cannot reference just the last visit webpage activity to score a person correctly based on their most recent webpage visit in the flow (Visited Web Page condition in the choice step would look at all the Visit Webpage activities present in the activity log of the person and not just the last visit webpage activity).

2. For scoring the event interactions (registered/attended/attended on-demand/etc.) - I'd suggest you keep using the program status values but filter people based on the program name constraint along with the program status values in the "Program Status is Changed" trigger (I'm assuming that you'd have separate events and programs for driving engagements for each product type and your naming convention includes the product type in the program name). Again, it'd be best if you set up separate operational campaigns for each product type.

Alternatively, if you have a field that you're updating with the most recent product type value that the person has interacted with, then you can use that field as a filter in SL/as a choice step condition in scoring campaigns' flow to accurately score people based on the product type they've interacted with.

Michael_Florin
Level 10

Agreeing completely with Darshil here. Program Status Change is a great trigger and program names play an important role here. (Remember y'all: Naming Conventions aren't just about keeping things tidy, they can also transport important decision making).

Michael_Florin_0-1669308818573.png

The beauty of this central scoring campaign for my product "AN", is that it can run in your Operational Workspace. And it is very much advised to run scoring in one central location and not on webinar program level.

Ken_Aizawa

Hi @Darshil_Shah1 @Michael_Florin ,

Thank you for your quick suggestion!

As you mentioned, yes, it is good way to identify products by program_name information, and I feel I can implement the way.

if possible, I want to set an attributes(product type) into Marketo Program, but there is no way to do it,,, am I correct?

Thank you

Ken Aizawa 

Darshil_Shah1

Well, you can use Marketo Program Member Custom Fields (PMCF) for storing data on the program object, but you can very well add (and reference) the product type from the program name in trigger/filter constraints that support them (but of course, you cannot filter/trigger off based on the CDV unlike PMCF fields). With PMCF, you can store and reference program-specific data for members. When members are removed from a program, their associated PMCF data (of course, for that specific program) gets scrubbed off.

You can read all about PMCFs and the caveats associated with them on the product doc page here.

I'd recommend adding product types in the program name even if you don't plan to reference them in your operational campaigns just so that you can reference them in your program reports and keep things in order. I hope you find this helpful. Please let us know if you have questions.

Michael_Florin
Level 10

if possible, I want to set an attributes(product type) into Marketo Program, but there is no way to do it,,, am I correct?

That would be way better than using naming in my opinion. And yes, an attribute of a program would be a Program Tag:

Michael_Florin_0-1669366139037.png

But you can't use these tags in Smart Campaign filters. Seems Marketo envisioned them to be for reporting only. I believe there are ideas here to expand the use of Program Tags, but so far Marketo hasn't listened.

EDIT: I knew Greg had this on his list: https://nation.marketo.com/t5/ideas/have-tag-and-channel-constraints-to-quot-program-status-is/idi-p...

Ken_Aizawa

hi @Michael_Florin , thanks !

I got understand your point.

I hope the ideas would become true 🙂