Re: Landing page views and conversion reporting

Anonymous
Not applicable

Landing page views and conversion reporting

Hi everyone,

We have been using the Marketo Landing Page Performance reports to track page views and page conversions. We recently noticed a HUGE discrepancy between what Marketo was reporting and Google Analytics was reporting in terms of page views for one of our landing pages. After flagging a case I was told there was no way for support to drill down and see what was happening. So they told me that GA would be a more accurate with page views, but Marketo is still more accurate with form submits. Thinking through, that means I'll need to pull reports from both GA and Marketo and then calculate the conversions. I don't have access to GA so I'd need to get that info from our digital marketing team and combine reports. What are other people doing to get the most accurate reporting quickly? Are there any other reports you are finding to be accurate?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It's very disappointing if you were explicitly told that LP views will not be counted correctly.  Sounds like Mkto Support was shooting themselves in the foot.  Quite honestly, I'd go back and say that's not an acceptable response.

When you say "huge," what are the raw numbers and the deltas?  What is the LP URL? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it was quite disappointing - not really the answer I wanted to here.

Huge meaning Marketo was reporting nearly 18,000 page views for 1 landing page during the month of April while GA is more around 400 page views (which is a more realistic number for us). The LP URL is http://pages.ciphercloud.com/global-guide-to-data-protection-laws-landing-page.html

Have you ever had large deltas like this?

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Sounds weird. I agree with Sanford. Press Support to investigate.

If bots were hitting that page, you'd see something similar between systems unless munchkin is vulnerable to this. You might also find out if GA is blocking your internal domain.

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

I'm having this same problem. Marketo is saying we had 88k views on a landing page, but GA is saying there have been 72. That's quite a delta.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Have you guys looked any further into this? Any tips on what you're doing?

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

I was advised to instead create a Web Page Activity report because Marketo doesn't filter out bots from the Landing Page report. The Web Page Activity report has worked well using the following Smart List filters:

Screen Shot 2015-06-18 at 8.36.36 AM.png

The results are far more accurate. I'm sure you can finagle the columns to display similar information to the Landing Page report, but I've not yet tried.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for posting this, Jennifer DiMaria​!

We discovered this morning that Marketo was reporting approx. 10x the number of pageviews for our landing pages than GA was (which of course leads to wildly different conversion rates).

After running the report you mentioned against several pages we discovered that the discrepancy was reduced significantly, bringing the Marketo pageview reporting down much closer to the figures reported in GA.

So you helped solve the issue of which was giving us the more accurate figures (at least I think ). And saved us having to launch testing to check the tracking codes, etc...

Tom

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

Glad I was able to help someone