SOLVED

Known Visitor and Progressive Profiling at the same time?

Go to solution
Cloris
Level 2

Known Visitor and Progressive Profiling at the same time?

Hi everyone, I'm trying to add progressive profiling and known visitor features for a form at the same time. The problem is if it's a known visitor, the progressive profiling won't work - the form won't show the extra fields. 

Does this mean these two features can't be together in one form?

If that's the case, are there any other ways to work this around? Because I still want to collect extra info from visitors and hide the form for known visitors.

Side note: I didn't use Marketo landing page, I embed the form in a wordpress page.

Thanks,

Cloris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Known Visitor and Progressive Profiling at the same time?

Yes, like Floyd says, by definition they can’t be used at the same time. That wouldn’t make sense.

Known Visitor HTML: if the pageview is associated with a known person in your database, show a barebones form with only a Download button and some text... or no button, just text (though note it‘s still a form, even if there’s no way to submit it)... or nothing at all.

Progressive Profiling: if the pageview is associated with a known person, show the form with [a] always-on (non-Progressive Profiling) fields and [b] up to a limited number of empty fields from the ProgPro section, working from the top down to fill in more fields as the back end is enriched. Note the fields do not have to be filled in by the form: any update that enriches the lead on the back end will affect which fields are shown.

These 2 outcomes can’t coexist.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Floyd_Alvares2
Level 8

@Cloris 

I am a little confused as to the requirement.

Either Progressive Profiling or Known Visitor setup — but not both — is possible when the pageview is associated with a known person.

As an example: Form has the following First Name/ Last Name/ Email/  1st - Company/ 2nd - Job / 3rd - Country

• Person A visits the Form and fills out FN/LN/Email/Company. 
  • Marketo now knows this Person, and therefore the next time the person visits the website in that browser, the Form will show FN/LN/Email and ask for Job as the progressive profile field.

However, in your requirement, you want Marketo to not show the form because this is a known visitor BUT also show the form with FN/LN/Email and Job?

Cloris
Level 2

Hi Floyd, 

Thanks for the clarification. 

Here's what I was thinking:

Let's say there are three required fields for the new visitors: name, email, company. Then, there's progressive profiling for job and country.

1. Person A visits and fills the required fields and job in the form, and downloads a resource.
2. Person A returns and provides country.
3. Person A returns the third time. Now that he already fills out everything, I want to hide the form and just show a download button.

Based on what you mentioned, I think step 2 won't happen and it'll just go directly to step 3 for known visitors.

SanfordWhiteman

1. Person A visits and fills the required fields and job in the form, and downloads a resource.
2. Person A returns and provides country.
3. Person A returns the third time. Now that he already fills out everything, I want to hide the form and just show a download button.

Based on what you mentioned, I think step 2 won't happen and it'll just go directly to step 3 for known visitors.

Correct, KV HTML takes precedence.

If you want to hide the non-ProgPro fields once the ProgrPro block is complete, I would

1. Hide the whole form by default

2. On ready, use JS to check if there are any ProgPro fields remaining — easiest way to do this is to mark up the label with a class so you can quickly check for any of those on the form SanfordWhiteman_0-1631517330621.png

3. If there aren’t any ProgPro fields left, leave the current form hidden and load another form that has KV HTML in its place; otherwise, reveal the current form

SanfordWhiteman

Yes, like Floyd says, by definition they can’t be used at the same time. That wouldn’t make sense.

Known Visitor HTML: if the pageview is associated with a known person in your database, show a barebones form with only a Download button and some text... or no button, just text (though note it‘s still a form, even if there’s no way to submit it)... or nothing at all.

Progressive Profiling: if the pageview is associated with a known person, show the form with [a] always-on (non-Progressive Profiling) fields and [b] up to a limited number of empty fields from the ProgPro section, working from the top down to fill in more fields as the back end is enriched. Note the fields do not have to be filled in by the form: any update that enriches the lead on the back end will affect which fields are shown.

These 2 outcomes can’t coexist.

Cloris
Level 2

Thanks! Now I get it.