Re: Keeping smart campaigns from being auto-deactivated

Tracy_Boesken
Level 4

Keeping smart campaigns from being auto-deactivated

I have a large list of collateral items that are on our website that I need to have "always-on" (active, Triggered). I am going through the list one by one deactivating then reactivating so that I know for certain none of them have been overlooked.

My question is: is there a way to keep these campaigns in one location to mass/batch deactivate/reactivate? I am aware of Campaign Inspector listing active or inactive campaigns (the instance is old and has a lot) but my goal is to have lists of the triggered campaigns by themselves to check if active/inactive.

Ideas?

Thanks,

--Tracy

7 REPLIES 7
Floyd_Alvares2
Level 8

@Tracy_Boesken 

I always challenge the reason behind keeping Triggered Smart Campaigns activated, especially if they have not qualified anyone in the last 6 months. 

Other than manually going through the list of smart campaigns in Marketo, I am not sure if there is another possibility in the UI.

However, I have a setup that uses a combination of the list of the triggered smart campaign Ids + Marketo Rest APIs to deactivate and activate the campaigns for critical campaigns only.

JessicaMeyers
Level 4 - Champion

I also challenge the need to keep something live that no one has processed through in 6+ months, Without getting the API involved - I think these could also be worth exploring:

1. Consolidating a number of less used, but still occasional triggers into one with various "execute" flow steps - the central trigger would stay active and all the executed campaigns would no longer be triggers. 
  2. Simply moving them resets the edited / modified counter and could keep them alive longer if needed. 
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@JessicaMeyers ,

The consolidation approach is the best bet.  It is what I have proposed elsewhere on a few occasions.

My other comment has often been; If you have content that is being accessed so infrequently, how valuable is that content?

Cheers

Jo

Mark_Knight
Level 3

Just found out this 'nice little feature' within Marketo is the source of why my Smart Campaigns have been deactivated.

Its one thing to clean the system to keep it functioning, but quite another when it is only PART of an eco-system that is reliant upon it running...

Our website uses smart campaigns that are triggered by form fill from stated URLs that then triggers the process of that registration including the sending of the webinar playback to the registrant.

NOW happen to find these are being turned off if not engaged with on our website - PROBLEM is, the content remains on our website, and is expected to work until we choose to remove it.

- Can this auto-clean feature be turned off?

- is there a known workaround to trick Marketo into thinking been engaged with?

thx

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

- Can this auto-clean feature be turned off?

AFAIK, you cannot turn this feature off as an end user.

- is there a known workaround to trick Marketo into thinking been engaged with?

I usually subscribe to a bunch Marketo notifications, one of them being "Idle Trigger Campaign Cleanup" so I get notified by email every time when Marketo plans to auto-deactivate the idle trigger campaigns ahead of time. I then go to Marketo, deactivate and re-activate the operational campaigns from the list of inactive trigger campaigns identified by Marketo for "Idle Trigger Campaign Cleanup" activity. Deactivating and reactivating the trigger campaign prevents these campaigns from getting turned off by Marketo's campaign cleanup.

Mark_Knight
Level 3

HI - thanks for your response.

Turns out the Marketo Support Engineers (Level 3) CAN deactivate this feature - once I explained to them how this 'feature' had deactivated critical operations, including GDPR compliance required campaigns, they found a way.

My frustration with your solution of just going through the list of campaigns identified within the "Idle Trigger Campaign Cleanup" and deactivating / activating is that the process of simply deactivating / re-activating a single campaign takes too long. It's not just a toggle switch - the processing time for the browser to update is the killer. My last cleanup alert email had 136 campaigns listed in it.

Thankfully Marketo Support were able to help. (so they tell me, fingers crossed it does work as planned)

Beth_Massura
Level 8 - Champion

Hi Tracy, would naming conventions (e.g. including "TRG" in the trigger campaign names) help with this effort so you could more easily find these "always on" trigger campaigns in search?

If you almost always need to keep them active, could any be converted to a daily batch? While I haven't done this myself, I heard somewhere that you can ask Marketo support to turn off the quarterly auto-deactivation for your instance. I'm not sure if that's currently an option though.