Re: Issues sharing our landing pages on Twitter, as no image will pull from Marketo

Sev_Loeuille
Level 2

Issues sharing our landing pages on Twitter, as no image will pull from Marketo

Hi there!

I'm having issues when posting a link on Twitter that redirects to one of our Marketo landing pages. No image is populating on preview/once the post is live. We fixed this on LinkedIn and Facebook by updating the Marketo Page Meta Tags into the section "Facebook OG Tags" and adding <meta property="og:image" content="IMAGE URL" />

Unsure what the solution is for Twitter? Has anyone faced the same issue?

Thank you!

Séverine

2 REPLIES 2
Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Re: Issues sharing our landing pages on Twitter, as no image will pull from Marketo

Hi Sev,

Strictly speaking, Twitter should be able to read og:image tags—it's the fallback that it uses if Twitter's own twitter:image isn't being used. However, you do need to at least define twitter:card (as either summary or summary_large_image) and twitter:title.

If you have those already set up, what may have happened in this case is a caching issue; are you testing using https://cards-dev.twitter.com/validator

You can also try defining twitter:image and see if that changes anything in terms of what you see when testing against the validator.

Sev_Loeuille
Level 2

Hi Courtney,

Thank you for your reply.

This would have been the perfect solution to this type of issue  - but I found out that the time it actually came from my image not being indexed. The URL specified by the 'twitter:image' metatag was restricted by my site's robots.txt file, which will prevent Twitter from fetching it. The solution, in that case, is to update my site's robots.txt file instructions to allow the image to be displayed by search engines.

Sev