SOLVED

Re: Is it possible to append data to a field via a Marketo form?

Go to solution
Danielle_Davis1
Level 2

Is it possible to append data to a field via a Marketo form?

I've found documentation on how to append data to a field by using the Change Data Value flow along with tokens. But is it also possible to append data when it's submitted through a form?

We have a text field where people can write down their inquiry details. It would be helpful to append this data each time the lead/contact returns to our website to fill out a form with a new inquiry. At the moment, the newest value just overwrites the existing value. 

Can this be done on the form side or only through smart campaigns with the Change Data Value flow step?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
David_Gallaghe2
Level 5

Definitely use two fields, your default existing notes or inquiry field ie: {{lead.notes}} (Text - Field not string), and a new custom Text field (long text not string) designed for capture.. lets call one {{lead.notes capture}}.

Now just use your notes capture field in your form and.... create a global smart campaign -

Triggers:

• Person is created
  • Data value changes
    • attribute = Notes Capture
    • New value = is not empty

Filter:

1. Field: Notes Capture
    1. value = is not empty

Flow

• Constraint 1:
    • field: Notes IS empty
      set attribute: Notes = {{lead.notes capture}}
    • set attribute: Notes = {{system:datetime}} - {{lead.notes capture}}{{my.linebreak:default=;}}{{my.linebreak:default=;}}{{lead.notes capture}}

There you go... oh and want to learn about those cool likebreak tokens... check out

1. Re: Add values to a field instead of changing it
  2. Sanford Whitman's writeup on the topic 

Cheers

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
David_Gallaghe2
Level 5

Definitely use two fields, your default existing notes or inquiry field ie: {{lead.notes}} (Text - Field not string), and a new custom Text field (long text not string) designed for capture.. lets call one {{lead.notes capture}}.

Now just use your notes capture field in your form and.... create a global smart campaign -

Triggers:

• Person is created
  • Data value changes
    • attribute = Notes Capture
    • New value = is not empty

Filter:

1. Field: Notes Capture
    1. value = is not empty

Flow

• Constraint 1:
    • field: Notes IS empty
      set attribute: Notes = {{lead.notes capture}}
    • set attribute: Notes = {{system:datetime}} - {{lead.notes capture}}{{my.linebreak:default=;}}{{my.linebreak:default=;}}{{lead.notes capture}}

There you go... oh and want to learn about those cool likebreak tokens... check out

1. Re: Add values to a field instead of changing it
  2. Sanford Whitman's writeup on the topic 

Cheers

Tags (1)
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

For completeness: yes, it’s possible to do this on the form side if you have Pre-Fill enabled for the history field and make it a Hidden field on the form, then use JS to append the visible field to the hidden field.

This would also let you trim the history field more intelligently, like only storing the last 5 values. Can’t do that with a Change Data Value. Still, only worth it if that’s a specific requirement.