SOLVED

Re: Internal VPN Blocking Marketo Links

Go to solution
Maria_FTGP
Level 2

Internal VPN Blocking Marketo Links

We have an issue with all our Marketo landing page links. Marketo is imitating our urls and so anything with the url ending: ftgportfolios.com is automatically assumed to be owned by our company server systems. As such when we access a Marketo landing page, or want to see an image held on Marketo's servers our servers look to First Trust for that inf,  when inside the office or on VPN.

As these pages don't actually live on our servers the images/pages will not show and landing pages are unavailable. We are able to add a manual redirect on individual PC's so that users can access those pages.

However, this doesn't resolve the clicking of links within an email which currently still fail.

Anyone in Financial Services experienced this and have any tips?

Maria Solechnik
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

"imitating" isn't the word... Marketo is simply using a subdomain (a couple of subdomains actually) of your registered domain. Not abnormal at all, and common with hosted services.

It sounds like the internal copy of your DNS zone doesn't have the correct entries for the Marketo-related CNAME (alias) records.

This can happen when different teams at your company maintain the public copy of the zone vs. the internal copy. (Internal IP addresses accessed via VPN can't be published to the outside world, so the zones can't be automatically synced and need to be manually maintained instead.)

Solution is to ensure the CNAME records are resolvable on all copies of the zone, inside and outside.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman

"imitating" isn't the word... Marketo is simply using a subdomain (a couple of subdomains actually) of your registered domain. Not abnormal at all, and common with hosted services.

It sounds like the internal copy of your DNS zone doesn't have the correct entries for the Marketo-related CNAME (alias) records.

This can happen when different teams at your company maintain the public copy of the zone vs. the internal copy. (Internal IP addresses accessed via VPN can't be published to the outside world, so the zones can't be automatically synced and need to be manually maintained instead.)

Solution is to ensure the CNAME records are resolvable on all copies of the zone, inside and outside.
Maria_FTGP
Level 2

Hi there thanks for getting back to me! i will pass this on to IT and see if this could work!

Maria Solechnik
Maria_FTGP
Level 2

actually i wanted to check - where can i find the relevant CName records?

Thank you

Maria Solechnik
SanfordWhiteman

where can i find the relevant CName records?

Well, the records themselves would be managed in the control panel(s) of your various DNS servers.

You can use the standard DNS lookup tool dig to debug where your DNS requests and responses are coming/going, since the suspicion is over the VPN, you're querying an internal DNS server that has the wrong/missing records.

Maria_FTGP
Level 2

Thanks so much for your help! our problem has been SOLVED 🙂 

Maria Solechnik
SanfordWhiteman

Thanks so much for your help! our problem has been SOLVED 🙂 

Great! (This is how you can tell I am/slash-used to be an IT guy.)