Interesting tracking observation: Safari vs. Chrome

Interesting tracking observation: Safari vs. Chrome

Today I was doing some testing in web analytics in Marketo and I noticed an interesting behavior while I was connected to our corporate network via VPN.

If I browse the tracked website (our) in Safari browser, Marketo (Munchkin) assigns to the variable "Inferred Company or ISP" value of our company name (expected, because of VPN). However, if I do the same in Chrome (everything else is the same), the assigned value is my ISP name, not my company. That is unexpected and I guess tied to how Chrome talks to network and pushes things down the network stack. Does anybody know why this happens this way? I know it's a pretty random issue, but still

Thanks ;m

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Interesting tracking observation: Safari vs. Chrome

Does it matter?

You could probably use both browsers' execution tools to see what's happening in real time. You can also go to developer.marketo.com to see more about how munchkin handles things like this.

Perhaps the DNS used provided slightly different info on the traceback since the IP# is likely owned by the ISP and assigned to your Company or Company VPN.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Interesting tracking observation: Safari vs. Chrome

It's a question of proxy configuration. Some browsers use the OS-level proxy, others have their own proxy settings. So browsers on the same machine can have different exit routes and thus different public IPs.