SOLVED

Re: Inferred fields and IP address

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inferred fields and IP address

Hi Guys,

I am curious to understand why some leads filling out forms on Marketo pages get inferred fields (inferred state, inferred country, IP Address) populated at times, but not at other times. Is this something I need to consistently activate on each form or is it always available for each Marketo form?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Not all anonymous leads will have inferred data, it is not always available or accurate from their IP address. If an anonymous lead does populate with inferred data and later on becomes a known lead and is merged with the anonymous lead, they will still retain that inferred data.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Devraj_Grewal

David,

It is an automatic process and does not need to be activated per form. Anonymous leads will have the inferred leads populated based on their IP address, but since they have not filled out a form, you can only infer this data from their IP address. When leads fill out a form, they may have been anonymous leads first so they would have inferred fields populated. So if you look at leads who have filled out a form, some will have the inferred fields populated based on their IP address, others will not have their IP address visible to get that inferred data.

The data is not entirely accurate though as many IP addresses will return the ISP instead.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Devraj, how does one become an anonymous lead?

Devraj_Grewal

Anonymous leads are leads that have visited a page of your website or a landing page with Munchkin code but are not associated with a known lead in your system. When anonymous leads fill out a form, they become known leads and their anonymous lead is merged with the known.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I get what you're saying, but I'm still having trouble understanding why a new lead coming to a Marketo page and filling out a Marketo wouldn't generate inferred data. They are new so they are being tracked via Munchkin code and then they fill out the form. From what you're saying, if it is an existing lead, no inferred data should populate.

Devraj_Grewal

Not all anonymous leads will have inferred data, it is not always available or accurate from their IP address. If an anonymous lead does populate with inferred data and later on becomes a known lead and is merged with the anonymous lead, they will still retain that inferred data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Devraj,

I am trying to understand in which cases, Marketo won't able to capture the anonymouns IP address. As you mentioned that it is not always available for the IP address.

Can you share with me any of your thoughts?

Thank you,

Becky

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If an IP address has no useful data in the Geo IP (i.e. MaxMind) database, there wouldn't be anything to fill in. And as Devraj mentions, the IP-o-graphic data is not guaranteed to reflect the actual country the person is connecting from (let alone their country of residence/legal jurisdiction).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Sanford.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Including Munchkin on a web page creates and tracks anonymous leads as necessary.