Important Change to form Prefill

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Important Change to form Prefill

I suppose most of you have seen the warning about form prefill when login in to Marketo today. If you have not read the related article, you should do it as it has a major impact on one of the most used feature in Marketo...

Honestly, I am surprised by the suddenness of the announcement. Has any of you been warned ? Obviously, the issues with prefill on computers that are shared or when people forward emails to each other have been known for a long time. But yet, why such a sudden change with such a short notice ? I suspect there are some legal concerns behind this, a far consequence of the GDPR and similar regulations, as all actors in the chain might become liable in case of data theft.

if you want to keep getting the same behavior as before, it will be time for everyone to master Sanford Whiteman's technique described here : https://blog.teknkl.com/pre-fill-any-site-any-form/ as it will become necessary on Marketo landing pages as well.

- Greg

Tags (1)
26 REPLIES 26
Luben_Solev1
Level 2

Re: Important Change to form Prefill

Hi Gregoire,

I was reading through the threads and came across an apparently simpler solution:

https://nation.marketo.com/docs/DOC-6909-form-pre-fill-feature-upgrade#comment-39984

Will this solution work in your eyes?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Luben,

What simpler solution are you referring to ? Using lead tokens as default values ? It will work but relies a lot on user making no mistake and forgetting nothing when creating the forms. The other solution in the comments is the same one as the oneI refer to and requires some JS.

-Greg

Luben_Solev1
Level 2

Thanks for the speedy response Gregoire,

Yep. That's the one I was thinking of. We use about 6 global forms 95% of the time, so I'm not worried about setting the forms up properly.

I'm not proficient in JS and don't have control of the website, so was just seeing if the "Using lead tokens as default values" method could do the trick for us.

Luben

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I'm not proficient in JS and don't have control of the website

You don't have control of the Marketo LP domain?

That's the only website that's directly affected by the Pre-Fill change. Pre-Fill already didn't work on non-Marketo pages (which is the need my solution was built for, it just also happens to solve this new situation).

Luben_Solev1
Level 2

OK. Sorry. I do have control of the Marketo LP domain. I was referring to the website as a whole.

I assumed that the token solution will work on the site as it was using the munchkin code to pre-fill. If it does not then your solution is clearly more advantageous.

Will have to look at it more carefully and overcome my aversion to JS code 🙂

SanfordWhiteman

I assumed that the token solution will work on the site as it was using the munchkin code to pre-fill.

Ah, no, {{lead.tokens}} can't be used on non-Marketo pages (if not that would've been a suggested solution long ago).

Luben_Solev1
Level 2

Hi Sanford,

I've been trying to action your workaround and have managed to get all the way to "Set up the external site" part. Unfortunately that is where I get lost.

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense.

Am I supposed to add this code to every page where there is a Marketo Form embedded? Or just it once for the site?

There is some space to add munchkin code in there:

<!-- standard Munchkin embed code goes here, just reminding you! -->

Does that mean I need to add my munchkin code?

Your code seems to be referencing a specific Marketo form (mktoForm_1349) thus I was thinking that this might have to be done on a per-page basis.

Finally, your code appears to point to another piece of JS stored externally:

//app-ab23.marketo.com/js/forms2/js/forms2.min.js

Do I also need to download and get that stored on our servers?

Thanks in advance for helping me get over this final hurdle!

Luben

SanfordWhiteman

Am I supposed to add this code to every page where there is a Marketo Form embedded?

Yes.

<!-- standard Munchkin embed code goes here, just reminding you! -->

Does that mean I need to add my munchkin code?

Yes, unless you're already including it. Don't include it twice!

Finally, your code appears to point to another piece of JS stored externally:

//app-ab23.marketo.com/js/forms2/js/forms2.min.js

Do I also need to download and get that stored on our servers?

Nope, definitely do not download and rehost the file forms2.min.js. It's part of the standard form embed. (The hostname "abb-ab23" will likely be different for you, just use/continue to use the regular embed code. There are no changes necessary to Munchkin, nor to the Forms 2.0 embed code. The Pre-Fill is supplementary; it doesn't replace anything.)

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

I have to step in and correct you by saying that the aim of my post was mainly to show Marketo how pointless and how much of an inconvenience the "upgrade" was.

I would be careful to use it as a solution to the problem because if your forms are placed outside of Marketo landing pages, the forms will show the token text literally, i.e. {{lead.First Name}}, as the default value