SOLVED

How we can keep the original "Created" date when importing contacts from Hubspot to Marketo instance?

Go to solution
Kristof
Level 3

How we can keep the original "Created" date when importing contacts from Hubspot to Marketo instance?

Hello,

We will be migrating all Hubspot data from Salesforce/Hubspot of a company we just acquired to our own Salesforce/Marketo.

Some of the data, customers for instance, will probably flow into Salesforce then to Marketo, while leads may move directly from Hubspot to Marketo. Here's the question: when the data gets imported, Marketo will assign a "Created" date stamp. However, if the lead was created in their Hubspot instance on a previous date, it will already have a Created date.

Will Marketo allow us to override the newly stamped Created date with the original Created date from the Hubspot instance? If not, then can we update that field with a Data Value Change? Or is the Created date hard coded in any way? Can we include Created date in an import as a last resort? Or do we have to accept the Created date stamp? 

There is also a "Created At" field as well as a "Person was Created". We
 just tried to do a Data Value Change and it looks like Marketo allows to update Created At but not Person was Created, or? I would like to understand how these fields work. Anyone has experience with that please?

Cheers, 
Kristof

kristof
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: How we can keep the original "Created" date when importing contacts from Hubspot to Marketo instance?

I agree with Sandy here! You can create a HubSpot Created Date custom datetime field in Marketo and update it with the Created At date in HubSpot. Additionally, to clarify, the "Created At" field is when the anonymous record was originally created in Marketo, whereas, the "Person was created" field is when this anonymous record was 'created' as a Known Lead in your database. Lastly, I don't think you can update the system-managed "Created At" field via the Change Data Value flow step.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How we can keep the original "Created" date when importing contacts from Hubspot to Marketo instance?

You'll need a custom field if you wish to retain the "external created date" in Hubspot.
Darshil_Shah1

I agree with Sandy here! You can create a HubSpot Created Date custom datetime field in Marketo and update it with the Created At date in HubSpot. Additionally, to clarify, the "Created At" field is when the anonymous record was originally created in Marketo, whereas, the "Person was created" field is when this anonymous record was 'created' as a Known Lead in your database. Lastly, I don't think you can update the system-managed "Created At" field via the Change Data Value flow step.

Kristof
Level 3

Thanks @Darshil_Shah1 and @SanfordWhiteman, this is really helpful!

So no chance to (re)import a .csv that will update/populate a generic Marketo "Created" date-time field with their values that they have in Hubspot?

kristof
Darshil_Shah1

I don't think so as the Created At field is a system-managed non-editable field. The field will be set by the system to the datetime the record was initially created in Marketo's database.

Kristof
Level 3

Got it, thanks as always @Darshil_Shah1 🙌

kristof