SOLVED

Re: How to update "Source"

Go to solution
Carrie_Lawson
Level 4

How to update "Source"

In SFDC we set up a Lead and Contact Lead Source fields that maps to "Source" in MK.  However, when i attempt to update this field in MK so to update SFDC the attribute is not available in the list to be able to update.  I do not have this field blocked from updates either.  I was able to update the field from SFDC > MK so there is a value in the field, but it does not look like it is available to be updated via flow step.

If i choose to update Lead Source it does not flow from Marketo > SFDC as that field looks like it is for SFDC opportunity creation only, which we will not be using Marketo for this function.

What am i missing here?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jim_Thao7
Level 9

It's "Lead Source".  Don't trust field management on this one.  Try it out for yourself and you will see the result.  Opps are owned by your CRM. 

When you performed the data value change on "Lead Source", you said something about it not syncing up to SFDC.  However, when you did perform it on "Lead Source", did it change the "Source" value on your lead record? Can you clarify more on how this value did not sync up to SFDC? 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Jim_Thao7
Level 9

You're probably just choosing the wrong source field to update in Marketo.  Post up some screenshots of the Change Data Value flow action you're using and the result you get when you do that. 

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Seconding this. If you're 100% sure there are no field updates blocked, then it's likely because you're selecting the wrong Source field.

Jessica_Kao3
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

An easy way to check this is go to the admin section, click on field management and look at which source field is being mapped to which field in salesforce.  I have noticed recently in the newer marketo instances, the field that used to be called lead source is now labeled source.  I have also noticed, many new source fields on the opportunity object vs the lead and contact object.  But this could be due to the individual set up. 

Carrie_Lawson
Level 4

I had viewed the Field Management section and that is where i found a field named "Source", as stated above it is not available in my attributes list to update via flow step:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_1.png

Jim_Thao7
Level 9

It's "Lead Source".  Don't trust field management on this one.  Try it out for yourself and you will see the result.  Opps are owned by your CRM. 

When you performed the data value change on "Lead Source", you said something about it not syncing up to SFDC.  However, when you did perform it on "Lead Source", did it change the "Source" value on your lead record? Can you clarify more on how this value did not sync up to SFDC? 

Carrie_Lawson
Level 4

Nvm, user error.  For some reason the contact was no longer connected to the SFDC lead record it was connected to.  However, stating the Lead Source field is Opportunity Creation only is a bit misleading.

After I updated the SFDC Lead Record, via Lead Source field to see what field updated in MK when i had done so, the connection seemed to re-establish itself.  I don't even understand how the mapping was removed to begin with.  I am completing testing in our sandbox as we move thru our migration to SFDC so i am unsure as to what will cause a link to break between MK Lead and SFDC Lead.

Thanks for your assistance everyone!