SOLVED

How to understand the purpose of "exhausted content " and apply it in engagement program

Go to solution
Renee
Level 3

How to understand the purpose of "exhausted content " and apply it in engagement program

Hi all, 

I am a beginner to Marketo and has learned how to set up engagement campaign recently online. 

I watched a lot of training materials and know what the exhausted content mean and how to check the record in Marketo. 

However, I think to understand its marketing meaning and purpose is more important.... so I appreciate if anyone could tell how we use this concept in the engagement program and why we have to see if people were exhausted or not. 

Thanks a lot 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Re: How to understand the purpose of "exhausted content " and apply it in engagement program

Well, as you know, "exhausted" means the person won't receive any more emails from the stream they're in, unless you add new content. So up to this point it's just a piece of information that Marketo gives you.

What you do about that information is up to you and depends on your nurture concept. You might be okay with the fact that persons are sitting idle in that stream or you may want to add content to that stream on a regular basis. Or you will use the exhaustion as a trigger to move persons some place else. Into another stream or into another program.

I suppose most Marketo users here will move persons through streams based on interaction, and in a perfect world, nobody ever is exhausted. But persons sometimes don't interact with your content at all, and that could be a call-to-action for you to think about what to do with them. You might want to move exhausted people into a stream with a slower cadence and probably a less strictly segmented content. Like into a quarterly newsletter. Because your segmentation that moved them into that stream in the first place might not have been that great or your content didn't resonate.

So, long story short: I don't believe there is a standard procedure here that tells you what to do with exhausted persons. That is what you will have to figure out for yourself and your business.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Re: How to understand the purpose of "exhausted content " and apply it in engagement program

Well, as you know, "exhausted" means the person won't receive any more emails from the stream they're in, unless you add new content. So up to this point it's just a piece of information that Marketo gives you.

What you do about that information is up to you and depends on your nurture concept. You might be okay with the fact that persons are sitting idle in that stream or you may want to add content to that stream on a regular basis. Or you will use the exhaustion as a trigger to move persons some place else. Into another stream or into another program.

I suppose most Marketo users here will move persons through streams based on interaction, and in a perfect world, nobody ever is exhausted. But persons sometimes don't interact with your content at all, and that could be a call-to-action for you to think about what to do with them. You might want to move exhausted people into a stream with a slower cadence and probably a less strictly segmented content. Like into a quarterly newsletter. Because your segmentation that moved them into that stream in the first place might not have been that great or your content didn't resonate.

So, long story short: I don't believe there is a standard procedure here that tells you what to do with exhausted persons. That is what you will have to figure out for yourself and your business.