SOLVED

How to stop Salesforce from syncing contacts without email addresses

Go to solution
danvyse
Level 1

How to stop Salesforce from syncing contacts without email addresses

I recently set up the SF integration for Marketo. We have approx. 5000 contacts in SF with email addresses, and about 12,000 without email addresses. Unfortunately, the sync pulled over all 17,000 contacts, regardless of whether they have an email address or not. 

I am wondering what is the best way to clean this up? We are over our limit for number of contacts now, and I would like for Marketo to only sync contacts with email addresses. I am also worried about deleting contacts in Marketo, which then may delete them in SF, which would not be a good look for me!

What is the easiest way to get my Marketo from it's current state, to where I need it to be? Thank you in advance 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How to stop Salesforce from syncing contacts without email addresses

Remember to start threads in the proper place, Product Discussions. (I moved your post this time.)

Deleting people in Marketo will not touch them in SFDC unless you deliberately select that option. Otherwise, you are deleting the Marketo person record only. (Note in Marketo we try to say “person”, not “contact” — some older parts of the Marketo platform still use “lead”, and some of us old-timers slip and say that, but never “contact”.)

The easiest way to get what you want is to prevent the Salesforce API user that Marketo uses from seeing any SFDC Contacts (or SFDC Leads) that you don’t want to be in Marketo. Fix that up first, delete the existing unwanted people from Marketo, and you’re done.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How to stop Salesforce from syncing contacts without email addresses

Remember to start threads in the proper place, Product Discussions. (I moved your post this time.)

Deleting people in Marketo will not touch them in SFDC unless you deliberately select that option. Otherwise, you are deleting the Marketo person record only. (Note in Marketo we try to say “person”, not “contact” — some older parts of the Marketo platform still use “lead”, and some of us old-timers slip and say that, but never “contact”.)

The easiest way to get what you want is to prevent the Salesforce API user that Marketo uses from seeing any SFDC Contacts (or SFDC Leads) that you don’t want to be in Marketo. Fix that up first, delete the existing unwanted people from Marketo, and you’re done.